UKC

BD Viper axes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 danny269 10 Feb 2013
I've recently purchased my first set of technical axes and plumped for BD Vipers. It wasn't until I'd got them home that I realised they came with Laser picks rather than the T-rated Titan picks, despite my discussions with the 'smiling salesmen' that I was looking to do mostly Scottish mixed climbing with them. Should I now get myself a set of Titan picks and swap them over for my trip up North (if so, where would one best source them from?)or will I be (mostly) ok using the Lasers? I'm not likely to be doing much more than grade III's or very possibly IVs.
 AdrianC 10 Feb 2013
In reply to danny269: If you do end up changing them I could be interested in buying a pair of lasers...
 Petarghh 10 Feb 2013
In reply to danny269: They will work fine for mixed, they just go blunt quicker and need sharpening more.

I had a pair of fusion with titan picks, and a friend had vipers with laser picks, in the space of a winter season i lost a few mm of pick whereas he had to file off about an inch of pick to keep them sharp.

HTH

Pete
 Cameron94 10 Feb 2013
In reply to danny269: They'll climb just as well but they'll blunt and shorten quicker.
 HIGHTOWER 10 Feb 2013
In reply to danny269:

You should be fine with the Laser's, but your best bet's to get some T picks for bashing up in Scotland, and keep the Laser's nice for pure ice routes.
 KellyKettle 10 Feb 2013
In reply to danny269: My (second hand) reactors came with a set of Lasers and Titans.

The lasers are appreciably shorter from sharpening, despite the previous owner stating he'd used the titans more.

OP danny269 10 Feb 2013
In reply to danny269:

Thanks for the feedback ~ any suggestions for where I can get T-picks if I decide to?
 steveshaking 11 Feb 2013
In reply to danny269: I know its closing the stable door after the horse has bolted, but I got mine from needlesports precisely for this reason. They are one of the few companies that put together vipers in different guises rather than just the stock form of lasers and small adze and hammers.
In reply to danny269: I'd also consider getting the bigger adze too.
In reply to danny269: I'd also definitely consider getting the bigger adze and hammer too.
 wilkie14c 11 Feb 2013
In reply to nickinscottishmountains: I have the 'scotish' version of the vipers from needlesports, done 4 or 5 routes this season with them and would consider swapping the adze and hammer heads for the small ones if interested if anyone reading has the small vipers and wants bigger?
 threepeaks 11 Feb 2013
In reply to nickinscottishmountains: Agree, got both of those for mine, although I don't use an adze that often. It's very funny watching someone trying to place a peg, watrthog with that toffee hammer they give you. It's even funnier watching some-one trying to hammer in a Bulldog!

T- rated picks are a must (IMHO)as you'll trash your laser picks pretty quickly in the UK, especially if you are mixed climbing (pretty much unavoidable south of Scotland).

Hope that helps,
Dave
www.climbinggearreviews.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...