UKC

best lightweight waterproof trousers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 nodwas 06 Dec 2017
Hi all,

This isn't my area of expertise as i normally have slightly heavier weight waterproofs.

My dad is a long distance walker and is looking for some lightweight paclite style waterproofs does anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers!
 Tony Jones 06 Dec 2017
In reply to nodwas:

I have a pair of Berghaus Paclite over trousers that I keep in my rucksack when walking. They're light and pack very small however they're not particularly durable in my experience.
 99ster 06 Dec 2017
In reply to nodwas:

Arcteryx Alpha SL - 365g. They're excellent.

https://arcteryx.com/gb/en/shop/mens/alpha-sl-pant
 GrahamD 06 Dec 2017
In reply to nodwas:

Personally I'd look in the sale rail. Its not as though over trousers are something you wear all the time !
 Hat Dude 06 Dec 2017
In reply to nodwas:

These days I use a pair of £8.99 Decathlon ones far more than my more expensive heavier pair, they work and pack away not much bigger than a tennis ball. Not baggy & flappy like other cheap pairs either,
 Stichtplate 06 Dec 2017
In reply to nodwas:

Another vote for Berghaus Paclite. Hip to ankle 2 way zips and press studs mean they're easy to vent as well as get on and off. While the material is very thin, I've managed to thrutch up a couple of easy but wet rock routes in them without any tearing.
 bouldery bits 06 Dec 2017
In reply to nodwas:

OMM kammleika's are awesome.

Pedro50 06 Dec 2017
In reply to nodwas:

I've had some Montane Entrant DT over-trousers for ages which have been excellent. They seem to have been discontinued but the replacement is these I think. http://www.facewest.co.uk/Montane-Minimus-Pant.html

If I need a replacement I will probably get a pair.
 Pedro50 06 Dec 2017
In reply to bouldery bits:

> OMM kammleika's are awesome.

Agreed I wear these when I know I need them. I carry Montane one as above when they are needed as a precaution only IYSWIM.
 Rob_Morris1996 06 Dec 2017
In reply to Stichtplate:

Unfortunately I wasn't as lucky with my Paclites on some sharpish rock near Crimpiau. I wasn't thrutching up a chimney or anything of the like, they just caught and tore a good 4" large 'L' shape in the thigh/behind.
I wasn't at all impressed with their durability or rip-stop ability; even when keeping in mind that they are a lightweight pair, and high durability was never to be expected.
I emailed Berghaus just to say I thought that the level of durability was rather low, even for a lightweight pair, and asked for recommendations of fixing them - all I received was a rubbish automated email, with no advice or help. I'm a believer in good customer service, and would have at least liked a human to reply to me!
A year on, and a few applications of duct tape & re-proofings later they're still doing well, though with many more small holes dotted about them.
Probably won't go with Berghaus again though!
 Dell 06 Dec 2017
In reply to Rob_Morris1996:

Sharp rock, lightweight trousers? What did you expect?
 Wainers44 06 Dec 2017
In reply to nodwas:
Another vote for Berghaus Paclite. Mine have taken some severe wear, as in distances walked and run in them. I have been careful not to treat them like normal weight ones on rock etc....they aren't made for that.

After lots of years they are finally starting to delaminate, so I will soon buy another pair. By far the most waterproof waterproof trousers I have ever bought.
Post edited at 19:10
 Rob_Morris1996 06 Dec 2017
In reply to Dell:

A small nick, small tear etc., not the gaping flappy hole that appeared.
I did say twice that I never expected bombproof durability Still a great pair of trousers and definitely have their place in any lightweight sack, or if you simply get hot easily.
 Dave the Rave 06 Dec 2017
In reply to nodwas:

My Marmot Precip have been good.
 ShortLock 06 Dec 2017
In reply to nodwas:
If I might add a criterion: any recommendations for colourful waterproof trousers? Vain, maybe, but something I'm struggling to find without shelling out big money for ME, Rab or Arc'teryx offerings.
 rubertm 07 Dec 2017
In reply to nodwas:

Another +1 for Paclite trousers. The material is waterproof yet still breathable.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...