UKC

Best mat for alpine climbing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
deleted user 24 Apr 2013
Was thinking of going for this one http://www.facewest.co.uk/Thermarest-Z-Lite-Sol.html?utm_source=google&...

has anyone got any good recommendations?
In reply to samsimpson: I've been using the standard Z-Lite rather than the Sol for Summer Alpine climbing and it's been grand. I've cut off four sections to make it pack better and used my rucksack for my feet. Significantly more comfortable than my mates generic foam mat. =o)
 NottsRich 24 Apr 2013
In reply to samsimpson: I'll be interested to watch this - that's the mat I've got my eye on at the moment. The alternative for me was the Ridgerest, but I think I'd prefer the folding style rather than rolling.
Simon Wells 24 Apr 2013
In reply to samsimpson:

Warm for weight compared to normal matts

The 'egg box' makes them more comfortable than normal matts

Will not puncture!

'egg crates' fill with water / snow and grit

Mike Nolan 24 Apr 2013
In reply to samsimpson: Strange, I ordered one of these this morning from Needlesports for an Alpine trip this Summer!

I've heard the complaints about snow being difficult to shake off because of the shape, but for the price and apparent warmth/weight, it sounds pretty good!
 TobyA 24 Apr 2013
In reply to NottsRich:
> The alternative for me was the Ridgerest, but I think I'd prefer the folding style rather than rolling.

I've got both - my Ridgerest is about 15 years old, and I got the Z rest at the start of this winter. I think for comfort and warmth they are much of muchness, the Z-rest packs neater on the side of my pack, the Ridgerest collects a little less powder snow in between its ridges.
deleted user 24 Apr 2013
 NottsRich 24 Apr 2013
In reply to samsimpson: Yes, that's the one I was talking about.

TobyA, thanks for the advice. That's that gist of what I'd heard before.
 Andes 25 Apr 2013
In reply to samsimpson:
I've had three of those mats (I do a lot of camping!). They're very good, I was very happy with the first two I used up, comfortable, warm enough, puncture-proof, easy to carry and they make a better camp seat than round rolled mats. But my most recent Z-lite has "squashed down" much more rapidly, just after one 20 night expedition, and so it is now not nearly as comfortable.
As someone else said the egg-crates do fill up with dust etc... but it would be the perfect mat to have if you ever found yourself with 860 quail eggs to carry - I've counted!
John
 Ron Walker 25 Apr 2013
In reply to Andes, samsimpson:
I've got an original gold 4 Season Karrimat from the 1970's, which I still use all the time.
I've now cut it in half for Alpine climbing, it's indestructible and only weighs 160 grams.
It's so tough that I've used it on many alpine bivvies, while rock and ice climbing, often huddled or jammed on small rough rock ledges with very little damage.
I've got several other foam mats, including a later Karrimor salmon pink model from 1980's, none of them are anywhere near as tough as my original Gold Karrimat.
It really doesn't tear, scrape or puncture though the edges were nibbled once in a Scottish bothy so not perfect!!
I wonder if anyone now manufactures mats in the same foam, which compared to most newer mats is quite stretchy and rubbery?

Cheers Ron
deleted user 25 Apr 2013
In reply to samsimpson: hmm i thinking i am going for the ridge rest, now i have seen seasoned alpinst use one http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Sleeping-Pad-Reviews/Therm-a-Rest-Ridge-Rest-...
deleted user 25 Apr 2013
In reply to Ron Walker: sounds good, i used a neo air last year and a pro lite the year before, gear is a bit too fancy these days. i was scared of puncturing it, and had to put rope under it to keep me warm, and was a right ball ache to blow up.I am keeping it simple this time!closed foam is the way forward.
 Andes 25 Apr 2013
In reply to Ron Walker:
Yeah those mats were really good...!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...