UKC

Blizzard Bag/Blanket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alan M 09 Oct 2018

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on the Blizzard bag or Blanket?

Specifically the Blizzard Active Range 2 layer survival bag or Blanket.

• Looking for something for emergency use only (especially for winter)

Currently I carry a plastic survival bag, foil blanket and a small titanium cup with burner for heating up water/hot chocolate etc.  Thinking the blanket will be more useful as not sure how I would get in a bag if I had an injury etc.

Anyone have one or care to suggest something else?

Thanks

AlanLittle 09 Oct 2018
In reply to Alan M:

I had an unplanned winter bivvy in one once, with a big belay jacket. It was ok. Even slept a bit.

OP Alan M 09 Oct 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

Thanks,

Interesting product.  Looks to be a brilliant pack size for both the 1 and 2 person versions.  Do you know how they perform in comparison to the Blizzard bag/blanket?

Have you used one?

OP Alan M 09 Oct 2018
In reply to AlanLittle:

Thats good to know.  I only ever imagine using one in emergencies, I had a close call last winter.

Rick Graham 09 Oct 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

I have one of those, good for more than one emergency use and can be repacked to a neat size.

To the op. I had a trial bivy on the coldest night (for years ) outside our house, the neighbour thinks I am mad.  Wore my usual winter climbing clothes plus belay jacket plus blizzard bag. Slept very well apart from cold feet so made some light footwarmers. Knowing that I can sleep well in that situation gives me confidence I can survive in the brutal world of a Scottish winter hilltop, especially with a bit of spooning or a snowhole. 

Dr.S at work 09 Oct 2018
In reply to Alan M:

Have used one (3layer rather than 2) and did really well on an unplanned bivvy.

If I’m out solo in winter will pack one.

OP Alan M 09 Oct 2018
In reply to Rick Graham:

> I have one of those, good for more than one emergency use and can be repacked to a neat size.

> To the op. I had a trial bivy on the coldest night (for years ) outside our house, the neighbour thinks I am mad.  Wore my usual winter climbing clothes plus belay jacket plus blizzard bag. Slept very well apart from cold feet so made some light footwarmers. Knowing that I can sleep well in that situation gives me confidence I can survive in the brutal world of a Scottish winter hilltop, especially with a bit of spooning or a snowhole. 

Not just me then I have put my kit to the test in the garden numerous times also.    Good to know that the blizzard bag gives you confidence.  What sort of temperature did you use it in?

I'm tempted to buy both the SOL emergency bivvy and a blizzard blanket so I have the choice of either depending on what I am doing etc.  They both seem reasonably priced.

OP Alan M 09 Oct 2018
In reply to Dr.S at work:

> Have used one (3layer rather than 2) and did really well on an unplanned bivvy.

> If I’m out solo in winter will pack one.

Thanks good to know you have used one in anger and it worked out well.

Think for less than £30 I will get one and keep it in the pack for the winter season.

DaveHK 10 Oct 2018
In reply to Alan M:

> Have you used one?

I've never slept in it but it's size and weight mean I'm willing to carry it which is the first hurdle!

Carrying two survival bags and a stove etc sounds like overkill to me for a situation you may meet only once or even never in a lifetime. But having said that, everyone should do what they need to do make themselves feel safe.

Post edited at 06:57
 Heike 10 Oct 2018
In reply to Alan M:

We used to carry a double size Blizzardbag in the Alps on long difficult routes. Had an unplanned bivi in one once at near enough 3800 metres. It was good. Works really well. Without it the night would have been horrendously cold. Then again it weighs quite a lot. We used to call it "The brick". 

OP Alan M 10 Oct 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

> I've never slept in it but it's size and weight mean I'm willing to carry it which is the first hurdle!

> Carrying two survival bags and a stove etc sounds like overkill to me for a situation you may meet only once or even never in a lifetime. But having said that, everyone should do what they need to do make themselves feel safe.

Sorry Dave, sounds like a bit of a misunderstanding.  I'm not planning to carry 2 survival bags I mean buying the two as they are cheap enough and then having the choice.  For example the blizzard bag for winter/more remote places the Sol emergency bivvy due to its lightness and small pack size for all other times.

Post edited at 09:10
 stevieb 10 Oct 2018
In reply to Alan M:

I got the blizzard jacket, but I've never used it, just carried it.

My thinking was that the jacket (which is meant to be more or less knee length), can be worn (by you or a casualty) on a walk out. But if you need to bivvy, you could wear the jacket and put your feet in your rucksack.

ScraggyGoat 10 Oct 2018
In reply to Alan M:

Rather than buying two different one person survival bags, consider buying the Blizzard and a very light 2 person bothy bag. e.g.

http://www.summitgear.co.uk/product/supalite-bothy-bag-2-person/

Then you have more flexibility as to what you choose to take, or if you take both a more  weather-proof option.  With the bothy keeping the wind off and the spindrift/rain out.

Remember that sitting or lying on cold ground rapidly conducts heat so if your rucksac hasn't a foam bivi pad consider putting in a sheet of old karrimat.

I was sufficiently impressed with the blizzard bag to buy two (second hand), one to use for occasional v. lightweight planned bivis, and the other to leave sealed and compact to leave at the bottom of the sac in winter.  They do 'balloon' in size once opened.

Post edited at 09:27
OP Alan M 10 Oct 2018
In reply to ScraggyGoat:

> Rather than buying two different one person survival bags, consider buying the Blizzard and a very light 2 person bothy bag. e.g.

> http://www.summitgear.co.uk/product/supalite-bothy-bag-2-person/

> Then you have more flexibility as to what you choose to take, or if you take both a more  weather-proof option.  With the bothy keeping the wind off and the spindrift/rain out.

> Remember that sitting or lying on cold ground rapidly conducts heat so if your rucksac hasn't a foam bivi pad consider putting in a sheet of old karrimat.

> I was sufficiently impressed with the blizzard bag to buy two (second hand), one to use for occasional v. lightweight planned bivis, and the other to leave sealed and compact to leave at the bottom of the sac in winter.  They do 'balloon' in size once opened.

those supalite bothy bags look fantastic for pack size, weight and cost. Something else to think about now.  Have you used one? Is the build quality any good?

My pack already has a removable foam pad. Thanks for the suggestion

OP Alan M 10 Oct 2018
In reply to stevieb:

> I got the blizzard jacket, but I've never used it, just carried it.

> My thinking was that the jacket (which is meant to be more or less knee length), can be worn (by you or a casualty) on a walk out. But if you need to bivvy, you could wear the jacket and put your feet in your rucksack.

I was looking at the jacket also.  I think the bag might be too restricted.  I once had a mountain accident (broken bones) thinking about it there is no way I or anyone else would have got me in the bag.  The blanket could just be wrapped around.  Like I say just want something for emergencies at the bottom of the pack.

ScraggyGoat 10 Oct 2018
In reply to Alan M:

Bothy, Build quality seams fine, small enough to put in a jacket pocket if doing a multipitch route without your rucsac. I did have have a terra nova 2 person bothy but it was too bulky so I regularly left it behind. With the supralite I'm more inclined to just throw it in the sac.

Blizzard bag versus jacket. The jacket would allow the caz to 'walk'.  If the caz is immobile and you cannot get them into the bag or the jacket, then with the application of a penknife either of them could quickly become a blanket.  In reverse a blanket can never become as effective as a  'bag'.

Post edited at 11:14
 Dell 10 Oct 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

Carrying a stove doesn't have to be a pig. A titanium mug and simple pot stand, a few esbits, foil windscreen and some tea bags/coffee/hot chocolate sachets, would work out at about 100g per person if shared between 2. 

I like the bothy bag option above all else (for winter) 

Dr.S at work 10 Oct 2018
In reply to ScraggyGoat:

yes, the blizzard bag (or other insulating item) and bothy bag is a great combo.

Blizzard used to make a blizzard 'tube' - basically a bag with no sealed end, but drawstrings at both ends. two could then top and tail in that - very effective and what we did when caught out (chopped the foot off my blizzard bag). we had a 2 man bothy as well and the combo was ace.

If they dont make the tube now, then the blankets should give that 1 or 2 person flexibility.

OP Alan M 10 Oct 2018
In reply to Dell:

> Carrying a stove doesn't have to be a pig. A titanium mug and simple pot stand, a few esbits, foil windscreen and some tea bags/coffee/hot chocolate sachets, would work out at about 100g per person if shared between 2. 

> I like the bothy bag option above all else (for winter) 

You are right the emergency cook kit is tiny.  I've used it once so far last winter, when considering my options.  Thankfully I managed to get down though lots of hours after I originally planned and a storm blowing. Sitting there drinking a hot drink helped me and could have had a few if I had sat it out all night.

The titanium cup is about 80g

Esbit folding stove 12g

Couple of esbit solid fuel tablets 14g each.

Bit of foil for wind shield a few grams

Lighter and some hot chocolate sachets.  It all fits in a 400ml cup.  

Not everyone will agree but it works for me.

OP Alan M 10 Oct 2018
In reply to Alan M:

> You are right the emergency cook kit is tiny.  I've used it once so far last winter, when considering my options.  Thankfully I managed to get down though lots of hours after I originally planned and a storm blowing. Sitting there drinking a hot drink helped me and could have had a few if I had sat it out all night.

> The titanium cup is about 80g

> Esbit folding stove 12g

> Couple of esbit solid fuel tablets 14g each.

> Bit of foil for wind shield a few grams

> Lighter and some hot chocolate sachets.  It all fits in a 400ml cup.  

> Not everyone will agree but it works for me.

Should say that only goes in my pack in the winter.

neuromancer 10 Oct 2018
In reply to Alan M:

Anyone seen these:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/mountaineering-survival-bag-id_8364157.html

Thoughts?

I have one living at the bottom of my alpine / scottish winter pack with the supposed thought that should I get stuck or benighted I could sit on my pack, don my down jacket and mitts, get inside and at least not die.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...