UKC

Boots, which is the widest

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
mik 04 Aug 2004
Anyone know if there is a general difference in the sizing of boots from diferent brands.

Like is Sportiva wider than Scarpa and Salomon etc.
Have tried some Salomon and Scarpa boots which were not wide enough for me.

note: not talking rockshoes here.
Dave Hunter, Rock + Run 04 Aug 2004
In reply to mik:

Scarpa and Kayland are wide.
La Sportiva are narrower but the widest part of their boots tend to be further forward than on Scarpa.
Salomon are narrow in the toe box.
Some brands do extra wide fitting in some boots BUT the extra volume that accrues often results in problems.

Most boots are about a D fitting
Scarpa are an E.

a lot depends on where the boot is wode and where your foot is widest. If you have a narrow foot but broad forefoot/toes, Sportiva or Kayland might be a better bet than some Scarpa.

if your foot is hobbit-like (very uncommon) ie fat and chunky all over with good bulk above the arch then the Scarpa extra wide fitting (SL only I think) might be a good choice.
mik 04 Aug 2004
In reply to Dave Hunter, Rock + Run:

i think im a hobbit then.
size 8-9 but G and F in width.....
In reply to mik:

G tends to be where you run into problems. My feet are nearly an F in width but I can wear La Sportiva Nepal XTs with few problems as my foot is widest at the toe (bizarrely).

If your feet are VERY bulky (not just wide but bulky) then you can size up to create extra width. If your feet are wide but shallow (more common), you have more problems as sizing up will create excess volume.

Superfeet or conformable footbeds (or better, custom orthotics), volume reducers and possibly tongue depressors will help in this case.

I'd really need to see your feet to be of more help.
 TobyA 04 Aug 2004
In reply to Dave Hunter, Rock + Run: My feet are also really wide but I wear Sportive Nepal Extremes and they are very comfy. I've just come to accept that my toes always have plenty of space in boots/shoes that are wide enough for me.
OP Andrew B 04 Aug 2004
In reply to mik:

Meindl are fairly wide.

They aslo currently have an extra wide fit boot called the "Tibet", most retailers should be able to order one for you on sale or return as Bramwell International (the UK importer) will supply them to shops on a Sale or Return basis
 Petzl 04 Aug 2004

Eh? Scarpa are known for being narrow, surely! Scarpa make the Ranger as a wide fitting for this reason.

Certainly, in my experience, they are narrower than Salomon (which are always small for the size, so I'm comparing with similar lengths) and then Meindl are generally the widest.
In reply to Petzl:

Scarpa are NOT narrow. I know, I've measured their width as well as length and internal volume.

Deltas and above (right through to Cumbres) are an E width. They have slightly narrow toe boxes which causes the confusion I think.

Salomon SM Lites and Experts are a narrow but high volume and well padded boot. They also have narrow toe boxes.

Meindl are quite wide but seem to have the widest part of the boot further forward than Scarpa (like Sportiva).

NB, just because a boot is a D fitting doesn't mean that you cant fit an F foot in it. The shape of the boot is important, as is its internal volume.
 Jon Greengrass 04 Aug 2004
In reply to TobyA: Do you not get terrible problems with your foot slipping around? I Always used to wear shoes and boots fitted to the width of my feet and ended up with boots about 1.5 sizes to long. The result was tripping over my toes and terrible blisters as i just couldn't keep my feet put. I now wear boots the correct length and put up with having my feet crushed sideways.
In reply to Jon Greengrass:

The answer to your problem Jon is to get a proper footbed and volume reducers. Volume is the single biggest problem with fitting boots.

Most boots have a lot of internal volume.
Most folk have shallow feet, lacking volume.
 Jon Greengrass 04 Aug 2004
Thanks, i'll try that next time i'm feeling flush enough to splash out on a new set of boots. Will the same thing work in Approach shoes and trainers?
In reply to Jon Greengrass:

Yes
OP Anonymous 04 Aug 2004
In reply to mik:
wellies are the widest!
mik 04 Aug 2004
In reply to Anonymous:

yeaa but when i have the choise between wellies and bare feet i always choose bare feet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...