UKC

Camping Lantern

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 richja5 10 Aug 2013
Hello UKC masses. Me and the wife are going camping over August bank holiday weekend - WITHOUT ELECTRIC HOOK UP! The wife is convinced that a head torch won't be sufficient for 3 nights and is insisting that we need a few battery operated lamps with the strength of a million candles. All of the lamps in Go Outdoors get hammered on reviews - any suggestions?
 Bluebird 10 Aug 2013
In reply to richja5: Silverpoint do a very good lantern - think I picked mine up in Cotswold.

Silverpoint Daylight Lantern - was about 40 notes, but very good quality
 marsbar 10 Aug 2013
In reply to richja5: Any reason you don't want a gas lantern?
ice.solo 10 Aug 2013
In reply to richja5:

BD titan.

BD lanterns seem to suffer with batteries draining in the cold, but otherwise quite good with dimming functions that help save on juice.
 jimtitt 10 Aug 2013
In reply to richja5:
LED work lamp with about 70 LED´s, that´s what I use.
 dsgarner 10 Aug 2013
In reply to richja5: I know you said that the go outdoors lanterns get hammered on reviews, but I've got the "Hi Gear 20 LED Camping Lantern", and can't really fault it. It's pretty good and for only £15 you can't go too far wrong!

Even if you find that it isn't bright enough, you could get another and it would be cheaper than some alternatives!
 Spike 10 Aug 2013
In reply to richja5:
Try the very nice alpkit lantern at £18 only and 190 lumens
http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=17006&...

Cheers
S
OP richja5 13 Aug 2013
Thanks for the replies guys. Some choice's to ponder. Not sure how safe a gas lantern is when mixed with a tent.
Gone for good 13 Aug 2013
In reply to richja5: I bought a wind up lantern on a camping trip in the Cantal region in France a couple of years ago. I think it was from Decathalon. Great bit of kit, got the kids to wind it up in the evening and it lasted well over 2 hours from what I remember.
In reply to marsbar:
> (In reply to richja5) Any reason you don't want a gas lantern?

My other half was convinced we were going to die of CO poisoning even after I pointed out that it's not a BBQ and produces about as much CO as a heavy breather does CO2 and when you consider that it's not on all night (I hope!) it's not that dangerous!
In reply to richja5: A reason why a little headtorch might be more advisable than a million candle lamp

youtube.com/watch?v=ZTCxxb479f8&
 london_huddy 13 Aug 2013
In reply to Spike:

Just back from 7 nights camping and the alpkit trinity was awesome- loads of light, great value. Buy two of them.
 d_b 13 Aug 2013
In reply to richja5:

I have a coleman petrol lantern that you can have for nothing if you are willing to pick it up. I live in Bristol.

There's nothing wrong with it & it works well but I just never seem to use it.
OP richja5 16 Aug 2013
In reply to grumpybearpantsclimbinggoat:

I see your point lol
OP richja5 16 Aug 2013
In reply to davidbeynon:

Thanks for the offer unfortunately bristols a bit far I'm Leicester based
 Choss Weasel 16 Aug 2013
In reply to higherclimbingwales:
> (In reply to marsbar)
> [...]
>
> My other half was convinced we were going to die of CO poisoning even after I pointed out that it's not a BBQ and produces about as much CO as a heavy breather does CO2 and when you consider that it's not on all night (I hope!) it's not that dangerous!

I heard of a guy who died after using a gas lantern for too long in his tent.
 GrahamD 19 Aug 2013
In reply to richja5:

Our GO outdoors rechargeable fluorescent tube lamp (HiGear brand) has been fine for the last couple of years. Mains and car charger supplied, pretty cheap. Follow the instructions on full charge / discharge cycles though
OP richja5 20 Aug 2013
In reply to richja5: 2 of alpkit lights ordered 1 large 1 small will see how good they are
OP richja5 27 Aug 2013
In reply to richja5: if anyone needs a very good bright lantern can very highly recommend both alpkit models very bright even better than our electric lamps we take. Both convert to torches as well
 s.scott 27 Aug 2013
In reply to richja5:

Really. I was disappointed with my trinity. Wasnt enough light.
 wilkie14c 27 Aug 2013
In reply to richja5: A coleman petrol powered lantern it the dogs for extended stays but perhaps overkill for just a few nights. A head torch each, a small 4 x AAA powered LED lantern for playing cards etc and maybe a couple of UFO lights from Wilko or simplar should see you just fine. A tea light inside a glass is fine if your are careful.
 wilkie14c 27 Aug 2013
In reply to davidbeynon: I'd be interested in buying this if you want? I have one already. Great for garden, camping <outside of tent obviously> and main use - Sea fishing. PM me if interested!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...