UKC

car camping with a bad back

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sam Beaton 29 Dec 2012
What are peoples' personal recommendations for something to sleep on when car camping (ie space and weight no issue) with a bad back? The thickest thermarest on the market? Memory foam doubled over? old fashioned camp bed? any suggestions gratefully received. my missus is very keen to join me and the boys in a tent next year!
 trueuk1 29 Dec 2012
In reply to Sam Beaton: i was in the same boat a few years ago with my wife, got a proper inflatable matress, wife loves camping now happy days.
steve
 anaesthetic 29 Dec 2012
In reply to Sam Beaton: I've had back issues and now use the thickest alpkit self-inflating mattress (was called Fat airic when I got it, think it may be called Dozer now?). Can make as hard as you like by topping up the air by blowing into valve and it keeps you insulated. Much much better than when used to share a double air bed (which went soft, was cold, could feel every movement of partner, ages to blow up etc). I'd recommend one of the self-inflating mattresses - thermarest/alpkit/whatever (love my alpkit - half the price of a thermarest)
 deepstar 29 Dec 2012
In reply to Sam Beaton: The present Mrs deepstar was`nt at all keen on sleeping in my van until I got her a memory foam mattress now she happily snores away on her camp bed on our way down to Geneva.Now all I have to do is to get her to like skiing!
 Mark Kemball 30 Dec 2012
In reply to Sam Beaton: Very happy with our super thick thermorests. They also double up as guest beds when the house is overcrowded.
In reply to Sam Beaton: Try an old-fashioned blow-up air bed. Very comfy.

T.
 carl dawson 30 Dec 2012
In past, have tried thickest Thermarest, campbeds, airbeds etc and, in my view, none of them work with the bad backs/camping combination. Decent memory foam however does the job. Also camping took on new meaning when car/tent was replaced by small van/tent (VW Caddy Maxi,5 seats plus bed platform) creating comfy bed 'indoors' for the adults and tent for the kids. Almost an hotel.
Carl
 Jonay 30 Dec 2012
In reply to Sam Beaton:

I've heard the Dozer is reccommended for those with bad backs...
 Dax H 30 Dec 2012
In reply to Sam Beaton: Backs are funny things, both an air bed and a traditional camp bed cripple me but a 1 inch thick thermarest is fine.
 Paul Hy 30 Dec 2012
In reply to Sam Beaton: it depends on your budget! have a look at this UKC review: http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=3628
OP Sam Beaton 31 Dec 2012
In reply to Sam Beaton:

Thanks for all the advice. We're going to try the Thermarest Dream Time and see how we get on.

cheers
 freerangecat 31 Dec 2012
In reply to Dax H:
> (In reply to Sam Beaton) Backs are funny things...

Yep, I've never got on with a thermarest, but find that a fleece blanket folded oved a couple of times and layed on a rollmat works really well for my back and neck. It's an awkward solution, but I can't really afford the trial and error process with more expensive mats. I have an old memory foam mattress topper on my bed at home that really helps, but it's too big and heavy for even car camping. I'd be interested if anyone has found more portable ones for camping though.
 martinph78 31 Dec 2012
In reply to Sam Beaton: This is the most comfortable camp bed ever.

http://www.norwichcamping.co.uk/products/oztent-goanna-stretcher/

I found it's not just about managing to be comfortable when sleeping with a bad back, it was trying to get up off the floor, crawl in and out of teh tent, get dressed, put shoes on etc. This bed (and a large tent!) solved that for me. It's pretty high so makes a good bench seat as well. Obviously no good in a 2 man tent though!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...