/ Choosing boots

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
L Fellfaller - on 17 Mar 2019

Hi, I am just getting back into hill walking and want to get a light weight boot for the 'warmer months'. Unfortunately there appears to be a wide and confusing range of boots to choose from. The Meindl Chile appeals to me but is it any good? What other similar boot is worth considering?

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

tjdodd - on 17 Mar 2019
In reply to Fellfaller:

Where are you based?  Best idea is to go to a good outdoor retailer (preferably independent) ask advice and try on lots of different pairs until you find the best for you. 

wbo - on 17 Mar 2019
In reply to Fellfaller: as above,trying them on is essential.

You're also going to need to decide if you  want boots or , basically, some flavour of trail running shoe

Jonny on 17 Mar 2019
In reply to wbo:

Yep. In dry, snowless conditions without smallish scree, I find lighter shoes that let you feel the terrain to be invariably a better choice. They end up getting less wear too, because your foot placements end up being so precise.

Post edited at 13:13
John Stainforth - on 17 Mar 2019
In reply to Fellfaller:

I think that footwear is about the most important of all our outdoor gear, so it is not an area to penny pinch. If you are really getting back into this seriously, you are best with two pairs of boots - one well-made set of proper hill walking boots that can cope with rain, mud, scree, some snow, and another  pair of lightweight hill "shoes" for dry conditions. For the latter, I prefer climbers' descent-type shoes with a thin vibram sole and thin leather uppers. I am not a fan of lightweight trainers, with breathable tops, that let the rain straight in! Last summer, which was unusually dry in the UK, I used my descent shoes almost the whole time; now I am back to the hill-walking boots to cope with mud etc. 

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.