UKC

converting an old dmm fly to leashless

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jbb 10 Oct 2013
Hi,
Has anyone on here managed to bodge a petzl trigrest onto an old dmm fly?
Having been tolsd that it can be done i'vee been trying but without succes so far.Tto begin with it wouldn't fit round the shaft so i cut away a bit of the rubber round the grip and it now fits a little better.
Now the bolt won't tighten into the nut.
I could buy a new nut and bolt but even if i could get it tight I'm not sure i'd be happy with it - mainly bacause the only thing holding it on would be the bolt holding it tight, whereas from what i can see its designed for the bolt to also go through a hole in thespike which i presume would give a lot of added strength. There is no way that the bolt could go through the spike on an old fly.
Anyone done better than me and can share their wisdom?
valjean 11 Oct 2013
In reply to jbb:

there was a thread here (maybe another site?) where a guy made triggers using a bolt and lots of epoxy... the finished product looked good from what i recall
valjean 11 Oct 2013
 Nathan Adam 11 Oct 2013
In reply to jbb: Buy Grivel trig rests and saw off the metal part, turn it around and put it at the bottom of the fly rest, no modification to the tool necessary. I did this with mine and they were bomb proof. Petzl rests have a habit of snapping from the constant abuse they'll inevitably get.

I'd link a picture but won't come up as my facebook is private, send me an email if you want to see some pictures of how i had mine set up.
Lennybelz 11 Oct 2013
It would be very interesting to make the triggers. What is the procedure of making it..??
-------------
http://www.selogerneuf.com/immobilier/bretagne.htm
 Martin W 11 Oct 2013
OP jbb 25 Oct 2013
Thanks for the tips guys.
i might have a try with the grivels.
cheers,
Ben
 Andy DB 25 Oct 2013
In reply to jbb:I managed to fit the new petzl trig rests to mine. I didn't use the orange bit of plastic that came with it and just did the whole thing up round the base of shaft. did have to file out a bit of plastic to get it to fit and doing up the bolt was a swine and took two people.
 andy_e 25 Oct 2013
In reply to jbb:

Go and buy the biggest hose clamp you can find, and attach so that the nut acts like a finger rest, then wrap the handle in self amalgamating rubber tape, (can be found from Clas Ohlson for £5, rather than the more expensive, and smaller roll from Petzl).

This works reasonable well, and has held up to three seasons use so far.

Also make some lanyards, using the sheath of a rope, with bungee threaded inside it, tie an overhand on a bight at the bottom, so this can be larks-footed to your belay loop, and then attach some small carabiners (or the black diamond micron s, which is a perfectly sized, metal accessory crab) to either end with a barrel (or scaffold) knot. This will keep them oriented correctly.

I hope that makes sense!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...