UKC

Crampon Strap Replacement

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MarkCJ 18 Nov 2018

Having just upgraded from a pair of Trango Cubes to Nepal Cubes I am having to lengthen the straps on my Grivel G14 C2 crampons. I have got a replacement set but trying to thread them through the heel welt is proving to be dam near impossible. Anybody on here have any experience of replacing the crampon straps of a Grivel Crampon? What worked for you as it just wont fit through the second slit

Thanks in advance

In reply to MarkCJ:

Insert a broad bladed screw driver in the slit and twist it slightly to open it up. Poke the pointy part of the end of the strap though the gap. Remove the screwdriver and pull the rest of the strap through by gripping it with pliers.

Mark Stevenson 18 Nov 2018
In reply to MarkCJ:

You're not the first person to have this issue!

Try cutting the end of the strap diagonally so there is a point to thread through first. Also, you could try slightly melting the end of the strap so it's marginally thinner...

Anyway good luck.

OP MarkCJ 18 Nov 2018
In reply to Cumbrian Climber:

Thank you, will give that a go, did not want to risk damaging the heel clips integrity by trying to widen it permanently and having tried to pull it through with thread that seems like a great idea

OP MarkCJ 18 Nov 2018
In reply to Mark Stevenson:

Yeah its a pain, just was surprised how little info there is on it as well. 

I have tried the heating option but that does not seem to be working out. Have tried to clamp the other one tight too but will let people know how it has gone. Thanks for the ideas guys, anyone has any others great, if not no worries

jay lafferty 18 Nov 2018
In reply to MarkCJ:

I had to do exactly the same thing a few weeks ago, getting the straps through the first slit on the welt   wasn't a problem but the second was a nightmare.

I cut the ends of the straps again to make them more pointed and heated them up, then just a case of using a small knife to get the strap into the slit and once I could see a bit sticking out the other side I used a pair of pliers to pull the strap through .. job done 

awhitby 18 Nov 2018
In reply to MarkCJ:

Another hint: the strap is slightly thicker / frays easily where the text is embroidered in, so if you do cut them on an angle / melt them, try to do it between those sections. Also if you're careful you can melt the end into a wedge shape which helps.

But one warning while you're messing with screwdrivers etc - I sliced my finger trying to do this in a hut with a non-locking knife (idiot!) so be careful!

Alex Riley 18 Nov 2018
In reply to awhitby:

Also make sure you thread them the right way... It's good for practicing threading them, but not much else!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...