UKC

Effect of urine on harnesses/ ropes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CharlieMack 03 Mar 2014
I did my irata a few months back, and in the training the instructor was strongly worded regarding the dangers of urine to safety ppe. Namely harnesses, stating that it was one of the main concerns due to its high likelihood rather than its potency to harm the equipment.

After a cursory look about the net, I can't find any proper evidence or official stand point on the matter. All major rope manufacturers list common harmful and non harmful substances, but non seem to mention urine.

Given that it's one of the most likely things to come in contact with a harness at a crag (most don't take off their harnesses for a slash), and given this chap's strongly worded warning about its affect. Surely there should be more knowledge/ information on the subject.

Anyone know anything/ got links to actual evidence?
 jon 03 Mar 2014
In reply to CharlieMack:

Taking the piss, maybe?
 Hat Dude 03 Mar 2014
In reply to CharlieMack:

Effect of urine on harnesses/ ropes

Difficulty finding a climbing partner?
 jimtitt 03 Mar 2014
In reply to CharlieMack:

The DAV tested urine on ropes. Soaked overnight the ropes held 30% less standard falls. Random pissing on the rope reduced the number of falls withstood by 13%.
Never worried me much but then maybe rope access workers have shorter .......
Sarah G 03 Mar 2014
In reply to CharlieMack:

Fresh urine should be fine. However, it does quickly decompose to become ammonia.....

If the harness is a personal one, fine. Matey can piss on it, stink it up, etc. (as long he's not my belay!)

If a group harness, well, common sense says they should be rinsed, if only for reasons of hygiene.

S

PS
Dirty feckers.....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...