UKC

Fuel for MSR stoves

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DanH9883 27 May 2022

After faithfully using the cheapest fuel available (unleaded petrol) for over 20 years in my MSR whisperlite it finally gave up and was severely blocked.

After several cleaning attempts and a few you tube vids I've got it going again but have decided to change fuel. A bit of research led me to the Aspen 4T fuel as a decent alternative to unleaded, its a good bit more expensive than petrol but still a bit cheaper than the Coleman liqud fuel.

Has anyone else had similar problems with the newer petrol thats in the pumps now - the guy in the lawn mover shop said they are selling more of this now as E10 unleaded petrol at the pump only has shelf life of 1 month so is bad for any petrol appliances that are used irregularly.

Won't get to try it out properly for a while but feel like this fuel could be the way forward for the MSR faithful.

ScraggyGoat 27 May 2022
In reply to DanH9883:

Can’t tell you about modern petrol.  

Used Aspen 4T for years without issue, now moved on to a Stihl equivalent as it’s a available more locally to me, again without issue.

JimbotheScot 27 May 2022
In reply to DanH9883:

Use Stihl moto4plus since my local farm shop stopped selling aspen, no issues

Tigger 27 May 2022
In reply to DanH9883:

Pure Hexane panel wipe works a treat in mine, I use this stuff:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PWD005-Tetrosyl-Pre-Wipe-Degreaser-5Lt/dp/B009M4JT...

It's designed for wiping down car panels before Painting and as such is designed to evaporate without leaving any residue.

jimtitt 27 May 2022
In reply to DanH9883:

> After faithfully using the cheapest fuel available (unleaded petrol) for over 20 years in my MSR whisperlite it finally gave up and was severely blocked.

> After several cleaning attempts and a few you tube vids I've got it going again but have decided to change fuel. A bit of research led me to the Aspen 4T fuel as a decent alternative to unleaded, its a good bit more expensive than petrol but still a bit cheaper than the Coleman liqud fuel.

> Has anyone else had similar problems with the newer petrol thats in the pumps now - the guy in the lawn mover shop said they are selling more of this now as E10 unleaded petrol at the pump only has shelf life of 1 month so is bad for any petrol appliances that are used irregularly.

> Won't get to try it out properly for a while but feel like this fuel could be the way forward for the MSR faithful.

Well your guy is trying to sell you something! BP say ALL petrol blends have a storage life of one year in a sealed container and one month in appliance tanks (which are vented).

The big hassle with E10 apart from seal deterioration is water absorption, for a camping stove just tip the contents into your mower or whatever, alternatively seperate the water out.

I run a Coleman (they say E10 is fine) but every now and then run through with panel wipe, cleaning benzine or whatever. I use mine for boat or motorbike camping where single fuel is an advantage, car camping I use an alternative as carrying it is no hassle.

Strip and clean the evaporator tube every two weeks with E5 keeps it running nicely. The big plus with panel wipe etc is they don't smell as much, the cost is of no interest to anyone except maybe a guy in Africa trying to feed a family on $1.50 a day.

cal.mac 27 May 2022
In reply to DanH9883:

The panel wipe in Tigger's link is great stuff. You can get it cheaper here  https://www.metalflake.co.uk/index.php/pws050   and avoid Amazon, or try a local motorfactors.

Post edited at 20:35
 Tigger 27 May 2022
In reply to cal.mac:

Thanks for the Link, the local place sells it for £30!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...