UKC

Grit Rack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rob15 25 Aug 2010
I've always used my dads gear, but now i'm going away to uni I need some of my own! What gear would you suggest is a vital part of a grit rack, also any sites where I can buy fairly cheap stuff would be appreciated.
 gribble 25 Aug 2010
In reply to Rob15:

I'm sure lots of people will be along shortly to tell you what you really really need. For buying new stuff, bananafingers or CCC (Go Outdoors) are fairly cheap. Second hand stuff appears here quite regularly, but you have to be quick to get the best bargains.
 Scarab9 25 Aug 2010
In reply to Rob15:

are you looking at spending a bit here bit there and looking to get a piece at a time, or do you have say £200 to throw at it in one go?

If the first keep an eye out on here for 2nd hand and trawl the web for offers and get what comes up as and when - set of nuts, 5 draws, 2-3 screwgates, few varied slings being helpful particularly as partners will usually be able to help out bringing you up to a full rack.

If it's a lump there's an article on here if you look (easy to find) that's useful, then work out few details and get down to your local shop and discuss a deal for big purchase
 Keendan 25 Aug 2010
In reply to Rob15:

What Uni are you going to?

I'm going Lboro, a bit of a distance from the Peak but I'll probably be on grit mostly as well.

DMM 4CU cams are cheap now that the Dragons are out. Clearly gritstone eats cams. Sorry I'm not hot on where to get everything cheap.
 grubes 25 Aug 2010
In reply to Rob15:

Heres a good article look at the section single pitches (20m or less):
http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=840

Shop around look what each place is doing for offers.
 Owen W-G 25 Aug 2010
In reply to Rob15:

One set of nuts 1-10
Assorted cams 1/2 to 3 friend sizes
Couple of slings
8 Qds, half of which extendable

hexes more useful up to VS

should see you right on most stanage/frog routes on natural grit

More gear required for millstone routes which tend to require 2+ sets of wires cos cracks ar similar sized, and longer too
 Tobes 25 Aug 2010
In reply to Rob15: You've onsighted E3 and you need gear advice?
 pog100 25 Aug 2010
In reply to Rob15:

Do what my son (Reaver of this parish) did and take the rack with you!
Mind you, it did mean I got to buy a new rack for myself....
OP Rob15 25 Aug 2010
In reply to Tobes: Yeah, ive got very limited experience on grit, so I thought i'd ask some advice.
OP Rob15 25 Aug 2010
In reply to Daniel Heath: Going to Sheffield uni
 Keendan 25 Aug 2010
In reply to Rob15:
Going to Sheffield uni

jealous
OP Rob15 25 Aug 2010
In reply to Owen W-G: Would you suggest some microcams/microwires for the higher grade routes? Or is that kind of gear uncommon
 conorcussell 25 Aug 2010
In reply to Rob15: Microcams will come in handy at the higher grades i'd expect and micro wires will too, especially on quarried grit. Larger cams will probably also be of use, my 3.5 and 4 get used a lot.
 IainWhitehouse 25 Aug 2010
In reply to Rob15:
> (In reply to Daniel Heath) Going to Sheffield uni

In that case you could wait a month and join one of the Uni clubs to take advantage of one of the club discount days they've arranged. You get a decent discount and get local Sheffield-based advice in the shop.
 grubes 26 Aug 2010
In reply to IainWhitehouse:
> (In reply to Rob15)
> [...]
>
> In that case you could wait a month and join one of the Uni clubs to take advantage of one of the club discount days they've arranged. You get a decent discount and get local Sheffield-based advice in the shop.

Also what are student loans for anyway? Blow it all on climbing gear and beer
 metal arms 26 Aug 2010
In reply to grubes:
> (In reply to IainWhitehouse)
> [...]
>
> Also what are student loans for anyway? Blow it all on climbing gear and beer

That's awful advice. Students are the future of our country. The loan should be going on textbooks and equipment.

N.B. - Metal Arms bought his rack with housing benefit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...