UKC

If The Boot Fits

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mmmhumous 19 Feb 2013
One of my new B2 boots doesn't quite fit tightly enough: My foot can roll a little (width is OK though) and the heel/ankle aren’t held in place quite firmly enough. It's OK for normal walking/kicking steps, just a bit wobbly on steep ice, and a bit lacking in ankle support.

The other boot is an absolute perfect fit, and both boots are very comfy: I've had no blisters after 5 days out in them on scrambles, snow and vertical ice.

These are what I've got, and I'm wearing them with a thin pair of ergonomic socks, with thicker walking/ski socks over the top:

http://uk.thenorthface.com/tnf-uk-en/men-s-verto-s4k-gtx-boots-29.html

What can I do to improve the fit on the loose boot (don't think I can get them any tighter). Is an insole, extra sock, or new foot my best option? or are there any cunning tricks/gadgets for my mildly annoying predicament.
 Cameron94 19 Feb 2013
In reply to mmmhumous: A volume reducer could do the trick, it is obviously there to reduce the volume but it will decrease the size in the more normal way of length. Pop into a shop tell them your issue and ask about the volume reducers they will probably give you some for free.
 Milesy 19 Feb 2013
In reply to mmmhumous:
> What can I do to improve the fit on the loose boot (don't think I can get them any tighter). Is an insole, extra sock, or new foot my best option? or are there any cunning tricks/gadgets for my mildly annoying predicament.

I do two things on my B3 boots. Firstly I use heel lock lacing. Google search will help you there. Normal lacing ends up tight at the shin and loose down the bottom. Heel lock lacing lets you get it tighter and more secure further down. I don't heel lock my laces till I put my crampons on. Until then I dont do up the top top hooks at all.

I use thick, just washed and tumble dried socks. When they keep their pile thick they normally stay good for a single day out. If I dry them in a dry room they loose their pile and I end up with more volume next day out so I normally stuff an extra regular sock folder up above the top of my foot.

To help getting the lacing tight at the bottom when putting crampons on I have an ice hockey lace tightener which I used when I played Ice Hockey strangely. You can get them online or sport shops. I unfolds like a bottle opener sort of and has a metal hook you can use to yank the laces from the bottom up.
OP mmmhumous 20 Feb 2013
In reply to Cameron94:

Cheers.
OP mmmhumous 20 Feb 2013
In reply to Milesy:

Heel lock might be worth a go. I'll give it a try when they've dried out. Cheers. The boots are flexible enough not need a lace tightener (unlike my old Bauers).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...