UKC

Is it safe to Tumble dry a rope???

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alan M 13 Jan 2004
On a very low heat?

I've just finished washing my rope as it was in a state of needing it...seriously. The smell from it the other day in the shed when it was drying after getting a wet was shocking, smelt like the contents of a bin. Though I suppose thats what happens when its used in all conditions for 2years with out being cleaned...Ooooops

I'm going climbing on Thursday And I fear it wont be dry, by just drip-drying in the shed.

Any advice, personally I can see it causing damage but then again I think to myself how can it????
Hobbes 13 Jan 2004
In reply to Alan M: i tumble dried mine after dry treating it and have had now problems with it. Taken a couple of whippers on it since too and am still here !. More heat would be generated into the rope whilst abseiling.
OP Alan M 13 Jan 2004
In reply to Hobbes:

Cheers.

Dominion 13 Jan 2004
In reply to Alan M:

There's some rope care thingies at the bottom of this link:

http://www.beal-planet.com/notices/booster-ang.html

Temperature is a big no no - although they're talking about 80 degrees C
OP Alan M 13 Jan 2004
In reply to Dominion:

cheers

How did you know what rope I had? I've washed it in the bath with the Beal rope cleaner detergent.

If I new I was going climbing on thursday I wouldn't of cleaned it so that's why I'm wondering if it can be tumble dried??

Does a tumble dryer reach 80 degrees C??
 Dominion 13 Jan 2004
In reply to Alan M:

> How did you know what rope I had?

I've got the same, and I was looking at this link yesterday, so it's just pure fluke

> Does a tumble dryer reach 80 degrees C??

Don't know - have a look in the manual.... Of course, I could just post some specifications of tumbles dryers here and just happen to get the model you happen to have . . . .

OP Alan M 13 Jan 2004
In reply to Dominion:
> (In reply to Alan M)
>
> >
> Don't know - have a look in the manual.... Of course, I could just post some specifications of tumbles dryers here and just happen to get the model you happen to have . . . .
>
>

Now that would be freaky!

Mums just gave me a strange look when I asked her how hot the tumble dryer gets to!!

sutty 13 Jan 2004
In reply to Alan M:

tumble it with heat off, it will take a bit longer but it will remove most of the moisture.
colski 14 Jan 2004
In reply to Alan M:

I used to be able to lead E5 no problem. Then I tumble dried my rope and I can now only second moderate on a good day.

Don't do it, you will regret it dearly...
 Wyddfa 14 Jan 2004
In reply to Alan M:
Yes, stick the tumble dryer on half power, barely gets warm in this setting, takes forever to dry this way but it shouldn't be harmful. Check the rope every 15-20 minutes.

Steve
 David Riley 14 Jan 2004
In reply to Alan M: I wonder if the continual bending might cause damage ?
Mike Simmonds 14 Jan 2004
In reply to Alan M: Airing cupboard perchance? Mine took 2 days to dry hanging in with the towells. Why chance it?
 David Riley 14 Jan 2004
In reply to Mike Simmonds: Sounds good to me.
 sutty 14 Jan 2004
In reply to Mike Simmonds:

What is wrong with climbing with a damp rope? Once out in the air it will be nearly dry after the first runout.
Mike Simmonds 14 Jan 2004
In reply to sutty: Good point. Might be slightly heavier if wet.
ceri 14 Jan 2004
In reply to Alan M: dont think tumble drying would be recomended. Why dry it in the shed? a cold damp shed is not a good place to expect something to dry. Hang it up in the house somewhere insted maybe? Longterm dampness could lead to mould??
 Smitz 14 Jan 2004
In reply to Alan M: If your going to tumble dry it, put it in cloth bag first (like a pillow case for example) to prevent loads of kinking / twisting.
 Guy Maccdox 14 Jan 2004
In reply to Alan M:

As an alternative, dehumidifiers work very well at speeding up drying times. They seem to cost £80+ but they're probably available cheaper through FreeAds.
 Martin W 14 Jan 2004
In reply to Alan M: If you think tumble drying might damange the rope, why risk it? The Beal web page that Dominion pointed you to says: "If the rope is wet, after use or washing, leave to dry in a cool, shaded place." As Sutty says, what's the problem with climbing with a damp rope? Does it never rain when you're out climbing?
Oli 14 Jan 2004
In reply to Alan M: Put coils of the rope over a door in
your house and it should dry within a day/ day and a half.
JohnnyJ 15 Jan 2004
In reply to Alan M:

Have tumble dried ropes (on low heat) lots of times with no ill effect but now tumble drier is facked!

So not safe for tumble drier!
Tom 15 Jan 2004
In reply to Alan M:

Do you have a closet with a hot water heater? You could put it in there.
JimF 15 Jan 2004
In reply to Alan M: as far as i remember, half-heat, low-heat or whatever on these machines tends to be around body temp. maybe 35 to 40 celsius. the full heat tends to be nearer 60 celsius. the trouble is that the fusible link or cut-out is quite a bit higher and thats not too clever, so unless you have absolute confident in your low-heat setting DON'T DO IT.

the guy who suggested hanging it over the door in the house for a day is giving you the best advice. 20 celsius and light air movement for several hours: perfect.
 Rob Naylor 16 Jan 2004
In reply to JimF:

I second (or 3rd) that. We have a galleried landing. I hang mine in loose coils over that and it's invariably bone dry within 24 hours.
The Gnome With No Home 16 Jan 2004
In reply to Alan M:

i am speaking from a position of no expertise at all however, you should be fine to tumble dry it but probably best to leave it out of the ironing pile
OP Alan M 16 Jan 2004
In reply to All:

Cheers to all who have tried to help!

I brought it into the house and hung it loosely coiled in the cupboard with the towels. so far so good

cheers
Will T 17 Jan 2004
In reply to Alan M:

On Nikwax Rope Proof, the instructions say tumble dry on a medium or low heat for 1 hour (part of the proofing tratment process). So it is probably OK. Leaving it too long in there would be a problem, for some reason when extra dry, nylon becomes stiff (we would be shot at my last centre for putting anything nylon in a dying room). I'm going to tumble dry mine to waterproof them, but I'll check them every 10 mins or so I guess.
JimF 18 Jan 2004
In reply to Will T: On the extra-dry nylon, this material has a really strange relationship with water. It absorbs several percent water and this changes its physical properties. Overdry it and you have the real nylon with slightly different physical properties. The nylon 'we know and love' is actually nylon and water.

Whether the overdry nylon simply returns to it normal state or is permanently damaged I cannot be 100% certain but I expect it would return to a normal equilibrium. Is there a chemist in the house????
 stuartf 18 Jan 2004
In reply to Alan M:

The card which came with my new Mammut Universe rope says do not tumble dry...
Woker 19 Jan 2004
In reply to stuartf: but are they just covering their backs ? Nylon is not supposed to be damaged by heat unless it is way above boiling temperature.
 Bruce Hooker 19 Jan 2004
In reply to Alan M:

What about talcum powder? Should give it a good finish too.

Alternatively, ask a caver; they do a lot of rope drying - every time they go under they come out covered in mud, so they would certainly be able to advise you better than outdoor climbers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...