UKC

Kong - crack in anodising

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mowglee 12 Nov 2018

Recently got a Kong Slyde off the back of the recent thread on adjustable lanyards. There's a fine crack about 10mm long alongside the witness line - see pic below. I can just about feel it with my fingernail, but it's very fine. Can't tell how deep it is, or if it's just in the anodising. I'll be returning it to Decathlon and have let Kong and the BMC know (not sure if the BMC logs stuff like this?). Thought I'd post it here to see if anyone else has noticed this with Kong gear? I accept it may well be purely aesthetic, but it's not really confidence inspiring for something which needs to be trusted.

https://imgur.com/a/2ekv3pE

jezb1 12 Nov 2018
In reply to Mowglee:

Just looks like a poor finish to me, but I’m no metallurgist. 

beardy mike 12 Nov 2018
In reply to Mowglee:

Looks like a witness mark from the forging tool where the part has been clipped and rumbled. Doubt it would have a significant effect, but you might want to double check with manufacturer.

starbug 13 Nov 2018
In reply to Mowglee:

I have three in front of me here and I have just looked at them under a magnifying glass. All three to some extent exhibit the "poor" finish along the moulding line. I don't believe it impacts on the performance however if you are uncertain as with all climbing gear the manufacturer should be your first point of enquiry.

jkarran 13 Nov 2018
In reply to Mowglee:

Just looks like a bit of smeared/ torn metal where the flash has been trimmed, the tumbler should have cleaned that off. I presume they ream the rope holes where it would actually matter. Wouldn't bother me but it's your kit, you have to trust it.

jk

Timmd 13 Nov 2018
In reply to Mowglee:

One thing you might try is gently filing it to see if it vanishes? If it does you'll know it was nothing to worry about, but if it continues it's more of a 'hmmmn' matter. 

Post edited at 17:04
 RR 13 Nov 2018
In reply to Mowglee:

It seems a common fact since I can also still see that they are poor finished on our two well-used Slyde’s. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...