UKC

NikWax TX Direct turning to balls of snot in the wash??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 peebles boy 07 Mar 2014

Washed Goretex jackets yesterday with TecWash. Then put them through again with TX Direct. Pulled them out the machine to dry, discovered numerous (hundreds!) of small, snot like sticky balls all over the two jackets. Left to dry overnight to see if they would fall off of their own accord.

Checked this morning, they hadn't. Put through another rinse cycle, hung out to dry in the near-gale force winds. Still covered in snot balls!

Anyone else ever had this experience? WTF is causing it? How do I get rid of them!!?? They're all over the jackets, in the pockets, in the hoods, stuck in clumps in baffles, everywhere!!!!

Confused,
Gordon.
 Toerag 07 Mar 2014
In reply to peebles boy:

I have, but it was on wooly stuff washed in tecwash if I remember correctly.
OP peebles boy 07 Mar 2014
In reply to Toerag:

No wool, just Goretex!!
Have rinsed twice now, and if they don't come off in the wind this time I think I've resigned myself to picking the bloody things off one by one!! Grrrrr
Kirsticles 07 Mar 2014
In reply to peebles boy:

Pick them off with masking tape (gently)
 Sharp 07 Mar 2014
In reply to peebles boy:

Are your liquids in date? If they are then I'd think there's something wrong with that batch of TXD, you could contact where you got it from and see if they've had any other returns. Sounds like a pain in the arse, if it's a faulty batch they might sort it for you but you might be waiting a couple of weeks to get your jacket back.
In reply to Sharp:

I've heard that happen before to my mate, I've only used the spray on since
OP peebles boy 08 Mar 2014
In reply to Kirsticles:

That's what I was thinking. Or, I could get the dog to lick them off....
In reply to Sharp:

Aye, both bottles still in date Ben, but on closer inspection the "snot" seems to be growing inside the TX direct bottle. Will check in at the shop and see if anyone else has said anything.

Stevie - yep, thinking spray on might be the way ahead after this!!!
In reply to peebles boy:
Is it the liquid separating out in the bottle so concentrating some of the ingredients? Years ago I had the liquid separating out in the bottle and had to shake vigorously before using or else it left white spots on the jacket (not sticky balls!). Problem solved when I got rid of that bottle and never had same again. Try shaking the bottle and see if the contents return to a uniform white liquid?
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

Nope, contents themselves are fine, it's just the residue round the walls/under the lid etc (much like paint in a tin before it goes dry and flaky). Think I'll pour it into another container though, and shake it well before use in future just to be sure. If I shake it just now I think more snot balls would be the result!
In reply to peebles boy:
Sounds like its a batch fault/contamination and if you can be bothered return it for testing.
Might be ok if you decant liquid but my thought is would it work as well as intended and without damaging the jackets? Not sure I would risk an expensive jacket. Do you not need guidance (from manufacturer) on how to successfully remove the balls, so set to consult them first?
 BrendanO 08 Mar 2014
In reply to peebles boy:

NOT so sure you should tell everyone about yr idea of getting the dog to lick your, er ,well you know.
In reply to BrendanO:

I think I see what you mean - the cat would be better suited yes?

PN82 12 Mar 2014
In reply to peebles boy:

This is freaky, i reproofed my paramo jacket and salopettes on Saturday and they are both covered in sticy snot balls! I did nothing different and have used the tech wash and tx direct wash in from these containers before!

I have no idea what caused this and i am glad i am not alone. I am going to contact nik wax and see what they say.
 PN82 12 Mar 2014
In reply to peebles boy:

Here is Nik Wax's response to my email about the same issue

The usual reason for a waxy residue is a mixed product issue. It is more than likely that the machine did not thoroughly rinse the Techwash before the TX Direct was added. I have attached cleaning instructions for your washing machine if you have an issue with residue inside. For the garments the only way to remove the residue is to have the items dry cleaned, if you do not wish to carry this out then please send them to us for rectification. Please find attached questionnaire. If you could fill in with as much information as possible and send it back to us along with the garments via Royal Mail Special Delivery to the address below marked for the attention of 'Nikwax Customer Services'. We will aim to turn the garments around within 5 working days. We will also refund your postage costs.
 alisonk 12 Mar 2014
In reply to PN82:

We had exactly the same problem, but it left sticky patches on the jackets. Problem was we couldn't find a drycleaner who would clean them as the jackets say not to dryclean on them.

A week later our washing machine did fail completely, so we thought the explanation was plausible.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...