UKC

Primaloft repair

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 goose299 17 Jan 2021

Having just put a hole in my new ish Primalofts, what’s the best way of repairing it?

Put a patch of duct tape on a jacket last time that’s still on circa 8 years later. 
Is that still the best thing? 

In reply to goose299:

Spinnaker tape works really well, especially if you cut a circular patch so there's not corners to start peeling off. There's tons of different colours available so you can find something which matches the jacket fairly well.

stevevans5 17 Jan 2021
In reply to goose299:

I've had success with Stormsure Tuff Tape. It's clear with a sort of matte finish so it's not super obvious, fairly easy to apply and seems pretty strong thus far

Will Hempstead 17 Jan 2021
In reply to goose299:

I've used duct tape and spinnaker tape, I found spinnaker tape worked best when you heat the back of a teaspoon with a lighter and then 'iron' the tape on with a bit of greaseproof paper on top of it. Just be careful not to heat the spoon too much and melt the tape. I guess you could also use an iron. 

Much much better but harder to get hold of, is Betrafol tape from Germany. Its far better than the above two options, something to do with the glue they use. Unfortunately they will only ship bulk to the UK so you have to buy 25 rolls. I did find it very easy to sell the excess 24 to friends / on ukc etc though.   

barry donovan 17 Jan 2021
In reply to goose299:

Coleman tent repair patches are really fine and sticky and stay on in the wash.

OP goose299 17 Jan 2021
In reply to goose299:

Cheers all 

just ordered some spinnaker tape

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...