UKC

Quechua??? any good

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
robatkinson 10 Feb 2012
just been on decathlon and quechua/simond stuff looks good and very cheap. what are people expereinces with the brand?
is there any quality issues?

cheers

Rob
 Tall Clare 10 Feb 2012
In reply to robatkinson:

Simond isn't the same as Quechua, which is Decathlon's own brand. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong!) I've had lots of Quechua stuff and have no complaints about it.
 Rampikino 10 Feb 2012
In reply to robatkinson:

Never had any issues, though it does depend on what you buy. The clothing tends to be warm and very functional - never had any problems and got a few more fleeces recently.
 kingborris 10 Feb 2012
In reply to robatkinson:

Its all backed with a 2 year guarantee too
 trivett 10 Feb 2012
In reply to robatkinson:

Generally very good, cheep but definitely cheerful. I have some of their softshell trousers which are awesome along with a few other bits.

It seems decathlon produce some soft good (clothing, shoes, sleeping bags etc) under the simond brand, sometimes you see identical products, one with a Quechua logo and one with a simond logo.
 Trangia 10 Feb 2012
In reply to robatkinson:

I've bought - all Quechua:

Clothing (including) walking trousers and wicking T shirts
Day sac
Camping chairs
Camping Table
Summer sleeping bag
Their equivalent of a Thermarest

Used a lot for car camping in Spain in good weather. All very practical and do the job ok
 Tall Clare 10 Feb 2012
In reply to trivett:

I stand corrected! Sorry about that OP!
 Voltemands 10 Feb 2012
In reply to robatkinson: Brought 1 of these for lazy camping - http://tente.quechua.com/en/tent/r-8,a-59,tente-2-seconds-iii.html and one of the poles snapped after just under two years (6 ish uses). Decathlon were happy to replace. Great product all round and others who I know who have their tents have not had the pole problem. So, good for cheap gear I guess.
 TicTacBigToe 10 Feb 2012
In reply to robatkinson: decathlon stuff is very good,especially for the price!
 JamButty 10 Feb 2012
In reply to robatkinson: On French holidays we used to make a point of diverting to Decathlon to stock up with clothing, boots etc, so was very excited when they started coming to the UK. Everything I've bought has been good quality and price.
Its also a great browsing shop, although before you know it you've bought lots!
 Tall Clare 10 Feb 2012
In reply to Winterbotty:
>
> Its also a great browsing shop, although before you know it you've bought lots!

Go in for a pair of walking socks, come out with an inflatable kayak, a water polo ball and a tutu...

It's lethal.
 Ron Walker 10 Feb 2012
In reply to robatkinson:

Really excellent quality for the price especially the fleeces and softshell. The camping stuff and guarantee is good too. Simond hardware is used by a lot of the local guides in the Mt Blanc area doing serious stuff so the quality should be excellent!!!

Cheers Ron
 Ron Walker 10 Feb 2012
In reply to Winterbotty:
> (In reply to robatkinson) On French holidays we used to make a point of diverting to Decathlon to stock up with clothing, boots etc.....

We do the same!!!!

Ron
 dsh 10 Feb 2012
In reply to robatkinson:

I have a pair of their softshell trousers, a softshell jacket and a fleece which are all good and the total cost was around £60.

I also bought a £2! pair of ski gloves which performed perfectly well for climbing in Cwm Cneifon on Wednesday, in fact probably better than most of my more expensive branded gloves.
 Fraser 10 Feb 2012
In reply to robatkinson:

I've bought loads of their own brand stuff over the years and never had any cause to complain. It's all been of a very high quality, especially given the prices.
 LastBoyScout 10 Feb 2012
In reply to robatkinson:

It's pretty good stuff for the price - at that price, it's almost disposable.

I don't think the cut of some of it is very good, though - trousers a little tight on the thighs and sleeve length a bit short, for example.

Might be just me, though.
 Rampikino 10 Feb 2012
In reply to robatkinson:

I went in for an inner-tube and came out with 6 bikes, a ping-ping table, a saddle, 10 cricket bats and a football.
 colina 10 Feb 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to Winterbotty)
> [...]
>
> Go in for a pair of walking socks, come out with an inflatable kayak, a water polo ball and a tutu...
>
> It's lethal.

.I popped in for a chalk ball and left with a deep sea diving helmet and a surf board ...cant even swim!! enter at your own risk.

DerwentDiluted 10 Feb 2012
In reply to robatkinson:

I use a lot of their stuff for rescue work as I find it well designed and pretty hardwearing, and it's not too expensive to replace. Excellent value I'd say. Agree that you go in for a hat and find a thousand things that you suddenly can't do without. Also Decathlon bought the Simond brand a few years ago, so is the same.
 cezza 10 Feb 2012
In reply to robatkinson:

I've bought loads of stuff from there, for myself and the kids. Most of it I've been very pleased with.
 SGD 10 Feb 2012
In reply to robatkinson: I brought all my original hiking kit from Decathlon and I still have the boots, jacket, gloves and softshell 10 years on. I also had one of their 2+ tents that was excellent, it weighed under 2kg and served me very well until my mate broke a pole and it ripped a hole in its housing while we were in Sicilly. A bit of gaffer tap sorted that out and after i'd replaced the pole it was fine. I only gave it away last year and I'd abused it for 8 years. I also have Quechua base layers and socks, all good stuff.
In reply to robatkinson:

Another huge fan of Quechua kit. I visit Foix every six months and always make sure my check-in holdall is only partially full so I can do my obligatory visit to Decathlon when I arrive. I've had some great jackets - currently sat in my soft shell which was something daft like €30. I bought a synthetic duvet there for €30 2 years ago and it has become the jacket I most can't live without.

But as other posters have said proceed with caution Decathlon stores can have the IKEA Market Hall effect where you keep picking up items that are ridiculously cheap and then before you know it you've spent €300
In reply to La Shamster:

Also bought 3 merino wool T's for €15 a piece last summer.
 Andy Hardy 17 Feb 2012
In reply to robatkinson:

They always seem to do an unbelievably well specc'd hardtail MTB for about £500.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/81-2011-id_8168695.html

nniff 17 Feb 2012
In reply to robatkinson:

I think Decathlon stuff is great- their winter running tights (the ones without zips) go under my softshell trousers for winter. Their compression tops for running.

Simond hardware is top notch - they produced the banana ice axe pick that has been the standard for the past 25 years (Chacal and Baracuda)
 Timmd 17 Feb 2012
In reply to robatkinson:

I bought a Quechua waterproof before xmas which was reduced to 40 pounds and have worn it a lot volunteering, and it seems okay, the surface inside feels rough and textured to the touch and quite hard wearing, which hopefully means it won't wear like Drilite can, which doesn't.

The fit is good with pitzip/side vents and venting pockets, and the fit of the hood is as good as on my Mountain Equipment jacket I think. Though another of thier jackets I bought for volunteering in with a lower RRP has a bit of a rubbish hood and feels heavier and hotter to wear, and is probably less breathable.

Berghaus or Mountain Equipment jackets etc of a similar price might have better hoods.

Tim
 Timmd 19 Feb 2012
In reply to Timmd:
> (In reply to robatkinson)
>
> I bought a Quechua waterproof before xmas which was reduced to 40 pounds and have worn it a lot volunteering, and it seems okay, the surface inside feels rough and textured to the touch and quite hard wearing, which hopefully means it won't wear like Drilite can, which doesn't.

Should perhaps add my Drilite has worn on the shoulders from carrying rucksacks, at least I think it's drilite, it looks like a white layer on the inside of the fabric.

The Quechua fabric feels harder wearing...
 Enty 19 Feb 2012
In reply to robatkinson:

Do you know I'm the only Brit in France fully sponsored by Quechua?
I got a great deal with them - I can walk into any Decathlon store in France and take whatever gear I want - all I have to do is pay the full price.

E
 tomlloyd 20 Feb 2012
In reply to robatkinson: Got a Simond boulder pad out in Spain. Not the softest, thickest landing, but one of the best small pads I've fallen on to!
 Maria - Spanny 20 Feb 2012
It's actually quite good, all the stuff i've got from it is as durable as the North face, Mountain equipment etc.... ones.

In reply to robatkinson: i'll second whats been said above.

got a pair of waterproof trousers, full length zips on legs and prety good. they've only just started to wet out a bit aound the crotch but a reproofing spray has sorted that.

i've also got a few of their base layer t-shirts which are great.

the fleeces are good, but the elasticated wrists wear quickly and leaves you with lots of elastic strands around your wrists.

the best bit of kit from them that i have is the softshell jacket, pit zips, wrist covers, good close fitting hood (although i'd probably prefer it if the hood fit over a helmet as opposed to under one but its great when not wearing a helmet!)
Nats 20 Feb 2012
In reply to colina:
agree! It's lethal!!! If you go without money so you don't spend you will regret it forever because you have missed in some outstanding offer...

but if you take the credit card you will be moaning that you spent so much but have a grin the size of a full moon.

base layers, socks and all gear in general is durable, cheap and good quality, last a lot!!
 Si dH 20 Feb 2012
In reply to robatkinson:
Simond Rocky quickdraws are are great for sport. Cant speak for the rest.
 tinyali 22 Feb 2012
In reply to robatkinson:

I've always found their stuff to be good value for money, the only exception so far being their own-brand climbing shoes. Yes they were cheap but the rubber just didn't seem to stick to anything!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...