UKC

REVIEW: Rab's Updated Xenair Alpine Jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 21 Nov 2023

Comfy on the move yet warm when you're stationary, the new version of this synthetic insulated jacket is significantly thicker than the original, making it potentially a better bet in winter. But has it improved in other respects? Dan Bailey finds out.

Read more

James123 21 Nov 2023
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

Excellent detailed review as ever. 

One thing I'd add is these type of jackets seem very much jack of all trades master of none to me. For something to wear on the move I think Rab's own vapour rise, ME kinesis, or even an unlined softshell over a fleece is going to be far less sweaty and more useful the vast majority of the time. For use as a belay jacket/emergency layer I'd look for something that is less air-permeable (for obvious reasons), and for overall levels of warmth you can get something much warmer and more compressible by choosing a down jacket of equal/less weight. 

AlanLittle 21 Nov 2023
In reply to James123:

I suppose it depends on how sweaty the individual is, but certainly for me I can't imagine many conditions where I'd be able to wear an insulated jacket while moving without completely soaking myself. My standard winter on-the-go outfit would similarly be something like a Vapour Rise or a softshell over a couple of baselayers. 

I'd often prefer synthetic over down for the standing-around-or-oh-shit layer though, unless I'm very sure it's going to be well below freezing & dry.

James123 21 Nov 2023
In reply to AlanLittle:

Yeah personally for any sort of hill/mountain walk this would be far too warm for moving in for 80% of the day for me. As you said something like a vapour rise is going to feel better against the skin after you've sweated into it. Not sure why they would increase the insulation amount but then also increase the air permeability. I tend to think its a much better option to pick bits of kit that function really well for 1/2 specific purpose rather than something that tries to do half a dozen things (but none of them really well). 

ste_d 21 Nov 2023

In reply to

I'd agree for a jacket that's purpose is an active piece this level of insulation seems too much, it's more akin to a belay jacket but as already mentioned I'd want a belay jacket to err towards less wind and weather permeability not more

In general I'd prefer to have something capable of excellent sweat management next to the skin and rapid drying time, eg vapour rise, polartec alpha, driclime, Kinesis etc or a grid fleece, then I would combine this layer with a lightweight xenair or similar if things got really cold or activity levels dipped eg a 40 or 60g xenair

Unfortunately I don't think they do a 60g weight xenair, I think it would be a useful weight, also I wish they'd do more hood less options, the lack of head and neck mobility from multiple hoods drives me crazy

timparkin 25 Nov 2023
In reply to ste_d:

> Unfortunately I don't think they do a 60g weight xenair, I think it would be a useful weight, also I wish they'd do more hood less options, the lack of head and neck mobility from multiple hoods drives me crazy

https://rab.equipment/uk/xenair-alpine-light-jacket

This is 60g/40g 

ste_d 25 Nov 2023
In reply to timparkin:

Well spotted, maybe I could cut the hood off

timparkin 25 Nov 2023
In reply to ste_d:

> Well spotted, maybe I could cut the hood off

They do a hoodless version!

ste_d 25 Nov 2023
In reply to timparkin:

Not in a 60g!

timparkin 26 Nov 2023
In reply to ste_d:

> Not in a 60g!

They do an 80/60gsm in hoodless and a 40gsm in hoodless (Xenair Insulated and Xenair Light)

I was going by your mentioning a desire for 40gsm or 60gsm. 

ste_d 26 Nov 2023
In reply to timparkin:

Ah I see thanks, sadly the 80/60 is discontinued

timparkin 26 Nov 2023
In reply to ste_d:

So they have - got mine just in time!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...