UKC

rechargeable batteries and headtorches

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sam Gibson 12 Dec 2011
Does anyone know of any major problems with using rechargeable batteries in a headtorch please? Mine (alpkit gamma) uses AAA batteries?

Also, do they tend to keep their charge once fully charged and stored for a while?

Might be a silly question but worth an ask...thanks in advance.
 Roguevfr 12 Dec 2011
In reply to Sam Gibson: Personally, I'd never use rechargeables in an essential piece of kit. They don't hold their charge for long, I find.
I'm happy using them in my gps for day hikes.
OP Sam Gibson 12 Dec 2011
In reply to Roguevfr: Great, thanks very much. Good advice
 CurlyStevo 12 Dec 2011
In reply to Roguevfr: that may be true of the older style nimh but not of some of the more modern ones. To the op look up eneloop batteries not only do they hold there charge comparibly to alakaline batteries but they work much better in cold temperatures. I've extensively used these in aaa size in a petzl tikka xp head torch for summer and winter climbing.
 George Ormerod 12 Dec 2011
In reply to Sam Gibson:

I always use rechargables, and I've never had any problems (Petzl). Modern led lights have such a long battery life that it's never been an issue and with rechargeables you can perk them up with an overnight charge. Having said that I always keep an emergency spare 3 AAA batteries in my pack, just in case.

By the way I found that rechargables didn't work in my Alpkit torch.
Removed User 12 Dec 2011
In reply to Sam Gibson: ive used rechargeables in my alpkit gamma for 2 years without any problems whatsoever.
needvert 13 Dec 2011
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Specifically http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_self-discharge_NiMH_battery

Back to the OP...The downsides of say, NiMH, is each cell is only 1.2V (that's relatively constant as the cell discharges, compared to your typical alkaline as this random picture shows: http://www.stefanv.com/electronics/using_nimh/nimh_vs_alkaline.gif)

Battery voltage is generally only an important issue in unregulated (or badly regulated) headlamps, where battery voltage is directly tied to brightness.
 CurlyStevo 13 Dec 2011
In reply to needvert:
I've been finding the Hybrio don't hold their charge as well, don't know if you've noticed this, but I often top up my batteries prior to using them, and my charger tests them before charging. The eneloops stay fully charged for long periods but the hybrios don't. Admitedly I have heard nimh batteries take a few uses before they function properly and the hybrios are newer to me.
Removed User 13 Dec 2011
In reply to Sam Gibson: I've been using AAA hybrios in my (regulated)headtorch for the past couple of years with no problems. An unregulated model might be different though. I also use AA hybrios in my GPS quite successfully. They don't work at all well in my camera, but that might have something to do with the fact I've knackered the lid of the battery compartment.
In reply to Roguevfr:
I always use rechargeable as I can charge them before I go out and I know they will be good for 3 hours rather than 3-n where n is the number of hours I have previously used the non rechargeables for and have promptly forgotten.

Watch out though some petzl and most alpkit ones wont work/can be damaged with rechargeable batteries.

Simon Caldwell 13 Dec 2011
In reply to mountainpenguin:
> most alpkit ones wont work/can be damaged with rechargeable batteries.

from alpkit.com:

The Gamma and Indigo headtorches have not been designed to work with lithium batteries. Lithium batteries have a high output during discharge which means they can cause the torch to overheat and possibly damage electronics and LEDs. We recommend using a good quality alkaline battery such as Energizer.
 CurlyStevo 13 Dec 2011
In reply to Toreador:
as nimh are lower voltage and can be bought at a similar wattage to duracell it seems unlikely they'd harm the head torch in any way. Some products don't work with nimh though, primarily as the voltage can be a bit low, especially once you use more than two or three at once.
 Martin W 13 Dec 2011
In reply to Toreador: Lithium batteries are not the same thing as NiMH rechargeables. I use hybrid NiMH rechargeables in both my Alpkit Gammas with no problems. The hybrids are definitely prefereable because they hold their charge much better when not in use.
 The Lemming 13 Dec 2011
In reply to Sam Gibson:

I've been using rechargeable batteries in my head-torches for 7-8 years with no problems.

However I now use the new hybrid batteries because they can hold their charge for up to a year with little loss in power. Sadly the same can't be said for normal rechargeable batteries as they lose their power in a very short space of time.
 Simon Caldwell 13 Dec 2011
In reply to Martin W:
I know, I was just replying to a previous post by quoting the only thing that Alpkit say about which batteries not to use
 iksander 13 Dec 2011
In reply to Toreador: eneloops if you can get away with 1.3-1.4v per cell initial voltage http://www.eneloop.info/fileadmin/EDITORS/ENELOOP/PICTURES/OTHER_PICTURES/h...
OP Sam Gibson 13 Dec 2011
Many thanks to everyone for the advice, I might try some but with disposables for backup! Thanks again, have a good christmas!
 Alex Slipchuk 15 Dec 2011
In reply to Sam Gibson: tesco sell a 4 aa battery pack and charger for house and car for 20quid. High capacity and charge in about 1 hour. Just carry spare alk batteries in case. Ps watch some headtorches as the lower internal resistance can result in bulbs blowing. Tried in petzl zoom and the bulb blew!. Ask the weegy, he's an expert on batteries
 Harry_Pymont 15 Dec 2011
In reply to Sam Gibson: using rechargeable batteries in some petzl headtorches can cause them to overheat and fail. I had a petzl myolite 3 for about two years, and the first time I used rechargeables the cable literally melted !! apparently it is a known fault for a lot of the petzl torches from a couple of years ago. I would check with alpkit to find out whether your torch is compatible or not, because you don't want your headtorch to fail when you need it most...
 Radioactiveman 15 Dec 2011
In reply to harry pymont:

from the alpkit website

A note on batteries: The Gamma and Indigo headtorches have not been designed to work with lithium batteries. Lithium batteries have a high output during discharge which means they can cause the torch to overheat and possibly damage electronics and LEDs. We recommend using a good quality alkaline battery such as Energizer. Cheap batteries are more likely to leak and leave a gooey mess on the contacts.

Not sure if you can use NiMH ?
OP Sam Gibson 15 Dec 2011
Thanks again...just to let you know, I got an email from Jay at Alpkit who says this:

"Re-chargeable batteries do work, however due to the amount of power may cause it to over heat and can sometimes make the light fade and stop working quicker than if you were to just use non-rechargeable batteries."

Hope that helps
 Martin W 16 Dec 2011
In reply to Radioactiveman: See Toreador's post at 10:51 Tue, and my reply to it. If you read the thread before posting you might safe yourself the effort of posting the same information, from the same source, as has already been posted.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...