UKC

Repearing a hydration reservoir

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Styx 16 Jan 2013
I have an Osprey hydration reservoir that has started leaking, there's no obvious puncture and it seems to be coming out where the stitching between the fabric backer and the bladder are joined.

This is the one: http://www.globetrekker.com.au/product_images/uploaded_images/8.81052_e.jpg

I've tried contacting Osprey but they've been of no help as it's out of warranty and would rather I just bought a new one (thanks guys!), if I liberally dab on some seam grip is it going to be safe for use or is the residue likely to send me slowly mad in "Apocalypse Now" style?

Cheers.
 Totally-Normal 16 Jan 2013
In reply to Styx: Whilst you may not want to buy a new one, how confident would you be with any repair- is it worth the risk of it going pop when you need it most?
 neuromancer 16 Jan 2013
In reply to Styx:

Hurm, shame with ospreys is you can turn them inside out; I had a similar problem on my camelback and turned it inside out, put a puncture repair kit from a bike on the hole area, then taped it down with gorilla tape them turned it back again.

Could try a bit of artful arm-into-the-bagging with a puncture repair kit?
 neuromancer 16 Jan 2013
In reply to taylorct:

For what its worth, I regularly take frontflip over the handlebar tumbles off my mountain bike onto my camelbak and it's never popped even with a hole being covered in the patch.
OP Styx 16 Jan 2013
I don't think it's a puncture, that's the thing. It appears that the two halves have come apart. I'm pretty certain that some Seam Grip will sort that out but I'm not sure how clever it is to be drinking water that has come in to contact with a (albeit dried) toxic substance.
angus8ken 16 Jan 2013
In reply to Styx:

I have an osprey hydration resivoir which started leaking in the same way as you suggest - seems like the seam has gone. Real shame as i was really impressed with it up until that point. Was thinking about replacing it with the same but not if its a common problem!
OP Styx 17 Jan 2013
In reply to angus8ken:
> (In reply to Styx)
>
> I have an osprey hydration resivoir which started leaking in the same way as you suggest - seems like the seam has gone. Real shame as i was really impressed with it up until that point. Was thinking about replacing it with the same but not if its a common problem!

Interesting, I wonder if this has happened to anyone else as well?
ice.solo 17 Jan 2013
In reply to Styx:

Tell me if seamgrip sends you 'willard style'.
Then i might try a dab meself.
OP Styx 17 Jan 2013
Ha, I'm not sure I want to go first!

Also, I just noticed that I catastrophically typo'ed "repairing" in the title, awesome.
Removed User 17 Jan 2013
In reply to Styx:
> I have an Osprey hydration reservoir

?

That's a rubber bag is it?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...