UKC

Scarpa Ribelle Lite HD

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chrismith 22 Dec 2020

So I bought these boots online having never tried them on. I know. But I’ve done this loads of times without any problems, my feet generally aren’t fussy and have gotten away with this approach 99% of the time, until now. 

These are B2/Stiff B1s and I bought them specifically for winter walking and they seemed to fit the bill perfectly but there is a couple of issues I’ve never come across before with boots. First off, the bend seems to be half way along the boot and not at the toes, I mean you’d have to have like 5 inch toes to benefit from a bend that far back and as such leaves an awkward and over time sore spot on the top of the foot.  Secondly the ‘sock fit’ tongue just digs right into the ankle so much so that I have too leave the top hooks unlaced. None of these problems were apparent before I took them out for the first time so I can’t return them. 

Scarpa have always fitted me (only boots I don’t get heel lift from - I still don’t from these which makes this even more annoying) hence why I chose these but maybe they’ve changed their design lately so they just don’t fit me anymore. 

Does anyone own these boots? If so, what’s the fit like for you and can you recommend any tweaks that might help?

Incase it wasn’t obvious, yes I’m salty I’ve rinsed £230 on them. But if you’re a 45.5 and know these fit you I might sell them on!

In reply to Chrismith:

I've got these, and like yourself Scarpas seem to be the only brand I don't get heel lift from (well, I do still get some but far less than on anything else I've worn before). A bit offtopic, but their climbing shoes don't fit me -- got Sportivas for that.

I do agree about the tongue not being the best design, but I haven't had any major issues with it that thick socks weren't able to mitigate. I do get some irritated skin where the tongue gets in the way a bit more, but personally I'd take this over blistered heels any day.

Haven't been able to use them in winter conditions yet due to my location and Covid so can't really comment on the sole bend, but I've used them for a couple of hill walks/scrambles and was happy with their overall performance. But maybe my opinion will change once I'll get to use them for winter.

I've got the cl version and I was advised to buy the same shoe size,they normally recommend the next size up.

They felt really comfortable in the shop,however after 20km doing the cmd arete,both heels were raw,the arch seems more pronounced.I've got new insoles(superfeet) to reduce the volume in the heel,always tape and fingers crossed seem ok.

I went back to my trango extreme's last week,really comfortable but not as good for scrambling.

The ribelle are a very different fitting boot to previous Scarpa's and I think this will catch a few out.

It's not a good feeling setting off on a long route crossing your fingers,hoping your boots will come through. 

salad fingers 28 Dec 2020
In reply to Chrismith:

These are one of the stand-out bits of kit for me this year and haven't had any of the troubles you describe. I tried on loads of summer mountaineering boots at Outside and came away with these. I think they are both wide fitting and high volume and easily accommodate my 2E wide feet - nothing else I've tried comes close - so much so that I have volume reducers in the summer (when wearing thinner socks) which I remove in winter (with thicker socks). I've used them for long mountain walks, multi-day backpacking, summer scrambles and easy (up to IV) winter stuff without any complaints. Very waterproof too.

Gwinn512 30 Dec 2020
In reply to Chrismith:

Got these this summer for a trip to Italy and loved them. We've done several 4k peaks, usually via the classic AD routes, so ~4-6h approach to hut, then 12-14h summit day and back and they were really comfy and super light. We didn't climb anything needing 2 axes, so can't comment on really steep or technical ice, but loved them on rock, certainly compared to my LS Nepals.

My street size is about 45 and I ended up getting these in 46, after trying the smaller size, which was too tight. 

angry pirate 01 Jan 2021
In reply to Chrismith:

I've got a pair and couldn't be happier with them. I am a classic Scarpa fit and always size up to a 44 (shoe size 43) with a thin liner and thick sock.

I have a pair of Marmalada boots for general walking /scrambling and the Ribelles fit pretty much the same.

I found that the sock fit tongue rubbed my ankle the first couple of outings (like it did in Marmaladas) but that has broken in now.

Ditto the funny crease. Initially there was a sharp crease that dug in but that has softened now and they are really comfortable.

My advice would be to persevere with them if you can.

andyd1970 01 Jan 2021
In reply to Chrismith:

Has anyone tried these in comparison with the Scarpa manta Pro GTX? I’ve got the manta pro in a 47 but as I’ve developed a foot problem I need a wider toe box. My manta pro have lots of length but have gone too tight but was wondering if I could get away with a 47 again. I’m gonna have to buy them online

salad fingers 02 Jan 2021
In reply to andyd1970:

I have both but now rarely wear the Mantas. They're slightly different beasts, but, for me, the Manta is narrower (in the same size), much heavier, stiffer and generally less fun to wear; my wide forefoot and narrow heel never really got on with them for any amount of walking, but they are warmer and reassuringly burly for full-on winter days. The Ribelle suits my needs and feet: wide feet and summer mountaineering.

echo34 02 Jan 2021
In reply to Chrismith:

I had trouble with the Ribelle, both Tech and Lite. 

usually fit Scarpa well, the Tech was far too narrow in the toe and the heel cup rubbed a lot. The Lite was excessively baggy fit all over, tried a downsize and fit better but toes were too tight, and the heel rubs still.

Tech 2 was similar.

I think the shape and design of the heel cup is a problem as it seems to cause a lot of rubbing.

motty89 02 Jan 2021
In reply to Chrismith:

After trying both on in the store I got the Charmoz. I usually fit scarpa (wear instincts and mont blanc pros) but found to size up enough for the toe box I got unacceptable heel lift.

jethro kiernan 02 Jan 2021
In reply to Chrismith:

It took me a few goes to get on with Scarpa, having had a pair of ribelles in 44 and a pair of Scarpa r evolution pro in 43 I have settled in 43.5 in Scarpa sizes, the 44 had a little heel lift now cured with high volume sole, the 43’s were too small by a fraction causing a bruised big to on long descents. Can get expensive this boot fitting game my son now has a nearly new pair of Scarpa R evolution boots for those rare times I can get him in the hills. 
*the boots given to my son were the only ones that were bought after an extensive shop boot trying on session. The Ribelles were second hand and my current scrambling boots were old stock bought of the internet( only because non of the local shops could source a 43.5 in the model I wanted)

andyd1970 02 Jan 2021
In reply to salad fingers:

Thanks mate. Had to get rid of my Nepal’s too, now looking at the Mammuts as they look wide in the Kento range 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...