UKC

Shortening air mattress?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Potato 07 Jun 2024

Bit of an odd one I know, I'd like to shorten my air mat, it's too long for my bivvy bag, 189cm and made of nylon, no internal padding (alpkit cloudbsse). 

Is there any means of re sealing this form of material properly if cut?

CantClimbTom 07 Jun 2024
In reply to The Potato:

I think you need to sell it secondhand and get a shorter one

or cut the bivi bag to make that longer so the mat and your feet can stick out  🤣 

DaveHK 07 Jun 2024
In reply to The Potato:

Hard to do that properly I'd say. Rather than cutting, could you roll/fold the end to the right size then glue it in place? Much less likely to leak than cutting and re-sealing.

Post edited at 14:02
 Run_Ross_Run 07 Jun 2024
In reply to The Potato:

Alternative is to roll/fold the head end up to make the desired length the head excess then acts as a pillow .

OP The Potato 07 Jun 2024
In reply to Run_Ross_Run and Dave HK

That could work, just lower the pressure a bit maybe, thanks guys

Rick Graham 07 Jun 2024
In reply to The Potato:

Fold it over when inflated to make a pillow as Ross suggests, use duct tape to hold in place, should deflate/ inflate OK  if not taped too tight. Duct tape will come off  if needed for other repairs on the hill.

Post edited at 14:52
In reply to The Potato:

This has been discussed on the various lightweight gear forums, such as backpackinglight. I recall various success reports, as the seam sealing method appears to be thermal; shorten, clear foam from new seal area, apply heat & pressure.

Caveat emptor... I'd go looking on BPL for ideas.

Bog ninja 08 Jun 2024
In reply to The Potato:

Could you put the bivy bag on top of the mat rather than put it inside? That would avoid the need of modifying and potentially damaging your mattress. It would leave plenty of space for your sleeping bag to loft too. Wild sky gear on eBay sell lightweight ground sheets for around £12 for protecting mats from the ground

Rick Graham 08 Jun 2024
In reply to Bog ninja:

In wet weather you end up in a puddle in the mat outside the bivi bag. Two solutions, make sure cambered ground, uncomfortable, or cut holes in camping mat, not good for inflatable mat. 

It needs to be a really new g tex bag to withstand submersion.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...