UKC

Solar Charging Set-ups?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bobling 17 Feb 2020

Does anyone have any recommendations for solar charging set up?  General advice seems to be buy a decent external battery which you start topped up, then charge the battery during the day and plug your devices into the battery at night.  I'd be looking at phones/USB lights/bike lights/cameras.  

If anyone has any experience on mounting one to a moving bike that would be interesting. Also in anywhere other than the back of beyond how do you stop someone nicking your charger from camp when you are out having fun?

Run_Ross_Run 17 Feb 2020
In reply to Bobling:

Also look at the option of a dynamo hub for the bike. Removes the risk of poor sunlight etc. 

More expensive to set up but it's fit and forget from there. Hook up to a power bank and its sorted.

https://www.cyclingabout.com/best-dynamo-hub-bicycle-touring-bikepacking/

Darren 

OP Bobling 17 Feb 2020
In reply to Run_Ross_Run:

Doh! Great point, thanks.  

Run_Ross_Run 17 Feb 2020
In reply to Bobling:

Let me know what you decide as I've got similar dilemma.

Into bikepacking now and I have a 1200 anker power bank (should last 3-4 days of phone/GPS, light charging) . So longer rides will need a source of charging, dynamo seems the sensible option. 

In reply to Bobling:

I bought one for my daughter as a birthday present.  I can't remember the make but it had good reviews and was quite expensive.  It worked a treat in direct sunlight but in anything less than bright sunshine it was useless.  I swear blind it was actually draining the battery of the phone when I tried it. Needless to say I sent it back so I will watch this post with some interest to see what people have had success with.

Al

OwenM 17 Feb 2020
In reply to Bobling:

I've been using them for some time for backpacking trips. My first one was a 12w panel which hinged down the middle it worked fine in Swedish Lapland and Scotland. I use it to recharge my InReach Tracker and phone. In Lapland having the midnight sun helped. I've just changed it for two of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071D9MB7J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o... I just connect them in series.

Using them on the move isn't that useful as the charge isn't constant and things like phones can cut out to protect the circuit if it not a steady charge. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...