UKC

Thermarest Neoair Xtherm Noise

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
bigdelboy 23 Jan 2013
Considering buying one of these as they are very light and pack very small, though I have no experience with one.
I've heard they are very noisy? Seems daft to me to have a sleeping mat that might wake you up?!
Any experiences shared would be great before I spend £130 on a crisp packet!!
 HarryB 23 Jan 2013
In reply to bigdelboy:

I find it barely noticeable in mine, I think it was a much bigger issue with the original neoair.
bigdelboy 23 Jan 2013
In reply to HarryB: Thanks, that's the answer I was hoping for!
 KiwiPrincess 23 Jan 2013
In reply to bigdelboy:
Once you are on them there is no noise as the Pressure Is firm, only when you touch them in the shop. So comfy! no regrets here.
needvert 23 Jan 2013
In reply to bigdelboy:

me nor partner notice noise.
 peas65 23 Jan 2013
In reply to bigdelboy:

Are you using it for winter camping? If not i have an expel syn mat ultralight which i would recommend, much cheaper that the neo air mats, makes little noise and is very comfy and packs as small.
 NottsRich 24 Jan 2013
In reply to peas65: How long have you had the Exped mat? I'm tempted, but curious as to how long they last for (inside a tent or bivvy bag). It's either that, or the best foam mat I can find. I'm 50/50 at the moment.
 CarolineMc 24 Jan 2013
In reply to NottsRich: go for the exped. No contest. Slightly heavier but robust and much quieter than the neoairs. Had mine for 4 years when valve gave up... it was replaced no question. Now kn year 3 of the replacement and it's cracking. Gets used a lot too. Co:
ice.solo 24 Jan 2013
In reply to CarolineMc:
> (In reply to NottsRich) go for the exped. No contest. Slightly heavier but robust and much quieter than the neoairs. Had mine for 4 years when valve gave up... it was replaced no question. Now kn year 3 of the replacement and it's cracking. Gets used a lot too. Co:

this.

exped wins. ive slept on one straight onto ground at -23 and no cold gets thru.
xtherm is still a good thing - just not as good. what swayed me was contingency: if punctured id rather a 1mm of squashed down under me than 0.5mm of crisp packet.

two downsides to the exped: needs the bag to inflate which isnt fun in a cramped bivvy.
and the feelings of pity for tent mates who dont have one. but it soon passes as you drift off...
 NottsRich 24 Jan 2013
In reply to CarolineMc and ice.solo:

Sold. Where can I get one? Any good offers around at the moment? Any space/weight saving in my bag as a result of replacing my current full length Thermarest style inflating mat will be great.

(Sorry for the thread hijack!)
bigdelboy 24 Jan 2013
In reply to peas65: I am using it for Winter camps, just been checking the syn mat UL (i'd need a large) but doesnt seem as warm? Is it notable?
I have an Exped Downmat mahoosive mat which is great but a bit on the heavy side and i'm looking to save weight and space in my pack.
 LucaC 24 Jan 2013
In reply to bigdelboy: They make some alarming noises for the first couple of uses, but then are totally fine. Noise from use has never even been a consideration. Really warm and comfy. Shouldn't be any reason for punctures on snow or in tents/bivi bags, obviously be careful on rocks. A burst mat won't be nice, down, foam or air. Put a rope or rucksack down first if you're worried about it.
 peas65 24 Jan 2013
In reply to bigdelboy:

I have only used my exped mat down to just below freezing and it was more than warm enough, planning on using it snowholing too. Not sure what it r rating is though. Only had it for 6 months but the pack size is amazing, very quick to get up and down, very light.
bigdelboy 25 Jan 2013
In reply to peas65: Its rated down to -4. Where as the neoair is -17. I certainly dont want to be cold so would be interested on hearing any other users feedback of the Syn mat UL?
 CarolineMc 25 Jan 2013
In reply to ice.solo:
> (In reply to CarolineMc)

> two downsides to the exped: needs the bag to inflate which isnt fun in a cramped bivvy.

Not any more - they come with an integral pump.

Co:
 CarolineMc 25 Jan 2013
In reply to bigdelboy: I don't have the UL, just the standard version. A few extra grams but monstrous extra warmth. Used it in all manner of temperatures (down to -18°C), and regularly between -5° and 5°C. I sleep cold and notice a huge difference between this and my old school thermarest. Even when paired with my stupidly massive down sleeping bag. Co:
bigdelboy 25 Jan 2013
In reply to CarolineMc: Thanks CarolineMc; The standard Syn mat is the same rating as the neo air, -17. But its alot heavier. I love my Downmat but again its heavy. The Xtherm will be warm enough for me but the exped mats are great. Just trying to see if i'd get away with the syn mat UL as its only a tiny bit heavier than the xtherm.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...