UKC

To resole or not to resole that is the question..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 scoth 22 Jan 2013
Just bought new pair of 5.10 vcs, planning to keep these for rock but find myself wearing these for indoors training much too often as my old shoes are very worn. So not wanting to wear these out, thinking of resoling old pair. So opinion required from performance point of view on either resole with vibram/stealth rubber or just buy new cheap pair (below £50).

cheers in advance
 lost1977 22 Jan 2013
In reply to herrettscott:

i would say it depends on your feet, if you find it easy to get climbing that fit well then go for cheap shoes (if you struggle then resole what you know works)
In reply to herrettscott: Resole for sure. you know they fit you, getting them resoled will be less hassle fit-wise than getting a new/2nd hand pair IMO and it'll be cheaper too.

My resoled shoes last nearly twice as long as the originals, and I know they already fit. So I resole once or twice then bin when they become too manky.

If you have a pair of shoes that fits you well, resoling is a really good option. For about a third of the price of a new pair, you can have renovated shoes that are as good as anything you could buy new: comfortable uppers that fit your feet and state-of-the-art new sticky soles.
 sarahjk 22 Jan 2013

Any recommendations for where to get re soling done ? Need to get my 5 10s done. Want something nice, not too clunky !
OP scoth 22 Jan 2013
In reply to sarahkeast:

Llanberis Resoles, feetfirst and cheshireshoes heard good stories from them all
 timmyh 23 Jan 2013
I had the same problem a few months back - my old faithfuls had worn through & I couldn't find a similar replacement (comfy all day shoes) ... Took my old shoes to llanberis resoles - got them back within a week & have the shoes i want & like, for a lot less than the price of a new pair - result!
I'd definitely recommend Llanberis Resoles!
 Murd 23 Jan 2013
In reply to sarahkeast: I've had shoes done at Cheshire shoes and Llanberis resoles, Llanberis job was excellent, the former was not.
 alooker 23 Jan 2013
In reply to herrettscott: definitely resole, either llanberis resole or chesire shoe repair. CSR did a good job with mine
 Ava Adore 23 Jan 2013

I've had two pairs resoled in the past and find that they're not as good technically any more once resoled. So I just use them for outdoor climbing (I don't climb hard outdoors) because they're comfortable.
 antdav 23 Jan 2013
In reply to Murd:
> I've had shoes done at Cheshire shoes and Llanberis resoles, Llanberis job was excellent, the former was not.

Same experience for me, Cheshire are cheaper and fine for my flat soled shoes. My previous more aggressive models are now flat after a trip to Cheshire. Llanberis seem to be better at conserving the shape of the original soles for a few extra £.
 Pero 23 Jan 2013
In reply to sarahkeast: My shoes came back better from Cheshire Shoe Repairs. I went for the stealth rubber option on my Red Chilis. I found stealth even better than the original. Ironically, as 5.10 do nothing in my size, it's the only way I can get this rubber.

They also came back tightened up a bit, which got them back to a snug fit after they had stretched with wear. In fact, after resoling they were a better fit than when I got them.
 craig1983 23 Jan 2013

It depends on the shoe really...I had a pair of edelrid ravens which resoled very well, but the resole to my la sportiva solutions was very poor...the shoe lost its agressive shape, and cheshire shoe repair couldn't retain 'the love bump'.
 John Lewis 23 Jan 2013
In reply to Ava Adore:
> (In reply to herrettscott)
>
> ................. because they're comfortable.

You have pairs of comfortable shoes!
 nniff 23 Jan 2013

My indoor shoes are resoles and my outdoors ones are not. Worn outdoor shoes become indoor shoes an dae resoled when necessary (unless I don't like them). The current indoor shoes are on their second resole because a worn pair of outdoor shoes were too uncomfortable to keep.

Mostly I manage to keep the balance right, but if a pair of indoor shoes becomes too kanckered to resole, the outdoor shoes become unresoled indoor shoes and I buy a new pair of outdoor shoes. Easy.
 DDDD 23 Jan 2013
Always get mine done at Feet First and always get Stealth - really good rubber. My sadly dying green Ninjas are still usable for easier stuff but have lasted many years.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...