UKC

Trainers in the alps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dutybooty 15 Jul 2013
Unsure if this is the right forum for it. But a while ago I saw a very good article about a guy who tried to go super lightweight in an alpine environment, and this included wearing trainers instead of boots, long story short, he regretted it, but I'm trying to find the article now and can't.

Anybody know where to find it?
In reply to dutybooty:

Can;t help you with the article, but last week I did a route on the Aiguille Dibona. Seriously thought about trainers and microspikes for the walk up & descent, but chickened out and took the big heavy boots instead.

In hindsight, trainers would have been fine (perhaps with waterproof socks) and a hell of a lot lighter.

I would consider it again. Kahtoola Micospikes are superb.
 Banned User 77 15 Jul 2013
In reply to Richard Alderton:
> (In reply to dutybooty)
>
> Can;t help you with the article, but last week I did a route on the Aiguille Dibona. Seriously thought about trainers and microspikes for the walk up & descent, but chickened out and took the big heavy boots instead.
>
> In hindsight, trainers would have been fine (perhaps with waterproof socks) and a hell of a lot lighter.
>
> I would consider it again. Kahtoola Micospikes are superb.

Kahtoola crampons even better.....

Killian just did Cham > MB and back in under 5 hours.. I imagine wearing trainers.
 AlanLittle 15 Jul 2013
> Aiguille Dibona ... trainers would have been fine

I'm heading in that direction next week and don't currently possess any big boots. I was assuming approach shoes & rock boots. Is there much snow on the descent?

OP dutybooty 15 Jul 2013
In reply to dutybooty: Thats the one. Thanks muchly
 Lew13 15 Jul 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

Crazy quick indeed!
In reply to AlanLittle:
> (In reply to Richard Alderton)
> [...]
>
> I'm heading in that direction next week and don't currently possess any big boots. I was assuming approach shoes & rock boots. Is there much snow on the descent?

The snowline was pretty much at the hut last week. Needed crampons (or spikes) in the morning, but it was very slushy by the afternoon and we didn't use them for the descent.

There were people without crampons, but they didn't seem to be enjoying the walk up.
 AlanLittle 16 Jul 2013

Thanks. Will get a pair of Microspikes for my plimmies.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...