UKC

Turn a locker into a snapgate?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 von_donsburg 01 Dec 2020

I've acquired some old locking biners which have the type of locking sleeve that can become stuck if over tightened while weighted.

I've got too many lockers and not enough snap gates, and it occurred to me that I could use a hacksaw to remove the locking sleeve.

I'm wondering if anyone has done this or has any thoughts?

apwebber 01 Dec 2020
In reply to von_donsburg:

Don't be crazy. Use a dremel.

Swig 01 Dec 2020

You might be surprised how awkward it is to hacksaw climbing gear. I was when I cut up an old defunct friend to pieces to get the lobes (for a key ring "ornament" so I could find my keys among various other keys). 

Post edited at 16:30

Why don't you just glue the sleeve open?

apwebber 01 Dec 2020

On a more serious note, is the spring tension the same with a locker compared to a purpose made snap gate? There might be issues with flutter. Not sure, just a thought.

OP von_donsburg 01 Dec 2020

Some good thoughts, thank you

My main concern is whether it's safe or not. My gut feeling is it would be but I couldn't find any discussion about this anywhere so thought I'd ask.

As for the spring tension it feels at least as strong as as a snapgate so hopefully would be ok

Gluing sleeve could work, but I'd prefer the cleaner profile if possible

Cobra_Head 01 Dec 2020

You don't need to cut them off

beardy mike 01 Dec 2020

Depending on the screw gate, the barrel is located using a wire circlip around the gate which prevents it from rotating off. If it's the right design, you may be able to pry the circlip out of the groove using a small screwdriver, slide it off the end of the gate, and undo the barrel.

Swig 01 Dec 2020

I reckon get some more snap gates. 

Maybe find someone with too many snap gates and not enough screwgates and do a deal. 

Neil Williams 01 Dec 2020

Why not just, er, not screw it in?

jbrom 01 Dec 2020
In reply to Swig:

> (for a key ring "ornament" so I could find my keys among various other keys). 

Usually the aim is to not find your own keys when they are mixed in a bowl with various other keys.

Post edited at 18:10
OP von_donsburg 02 Dec 2020

I removed the circlip, and it allowed me to screw the locking sleeve lower than usual, but I was still unable to get it off.

I think hacksaw would be the way to go

> Some good thoughts, thank you

> My main concern is whether it's safe or not. My gut feeling is it would be but I couldn't find any discussion about this anywhere so thought I'd ask.

> As for the spring tension it feels at least as strong as as a snapgate so hopefully would be ok

> Gluing sleeve could work, but I'd prefer the cleaner profile if possible

A problem with gluing them open is the the gate, which is designed to be locked, will have the weight of the ring and gate on springs that aren't designed to keep it shut (because it is supposed to be locked) so if the Karabiner is exposed to shaking action the gate is much more likely to flip open. Avoiding this is one of the major benefits of a wire gate.

> I removed the circlip, and it allowed me to screw the locking sleeve lower than usual, but I was still unable to get it off.

> I think hacksaw would be the way to go

You can't be certain the springs are suitable for non-locking use.

LucaC 02 Dec 2020

Sounds like a good excuse for buying some new snap gates. If a climbing partner or client turned up with a rack of 'biners and told me how they had taken a hacksaw to the gates, they would be politely told to put them back in the car and we would take my rack! 

OP von_donsburg 02 Dec 2020
In reply to LucaC:

Yep, in the end I decided to leave them be for this reason! It's probably not a great look...

wivanov 03 Dec 2020

The ones I've seen had two circlips. Remove the lower one, screw the sleeve down, remove the top circlip, remove the sleeve.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...