UKC

PRODUCT NEWS: VIDEO: Steve McClure and Chris Sharma Demonstrate The GRIGRI 2

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 31 Jan 2011
Daila Ojeda, 4 kbThis video, introducing the new Petzl GRIGRI 2, is essential viewing for any climber.

Not only does it feature Chris Sharma, Daila Ojeda, Dani Andrada, Nina Caprez, David Graham and Steve McClure climbing and taking impressive falls, but importantly Chris and Steve offer valuable advice on belaying including the dynamic belay, the buddy system, how to give lightning clips and the correct way to use the GRIGRI 2.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=3420

Null 01 Feb 2011
In reply to UKC Gear:

Why do they go on and on about always holding onto the rope?
I thought the whole idea was that you can let go and they still lock.

You can let go of old Grigris and my Cinch gadget.
 Jubjab 01 Feb 2011
In reply to Erstwhile:
> (In reply to UKC Gear)
>
> Why do they go on and on about always holding onto the rope?
> I thought the whole idea was that you can let go and they still lock.
>
> You can let go of old Grigris and my Cinch gadget.

No you can't, and if you do that you need to change your belaying habits.
 henwardian 01 Feb 2011
In reply to UKC Gear: Ok, so this was fun to watch, but I have to ask the question: Does anyone think any of these climbers actually belay even vaguely close to the textbook manner in the video when the cameras are turned off? Because in my experience, the longer a climber has been climbing for, the worse their belaying style (excluding novices who are learning).
 Jonny2vests 01 Feb 2011
In reply to Erstwhile:
> (In reply to UKC Gear)

> You can let go of old Grigris

Thats naughty. Although lots of people appear to be naughty, including me sometimes.

I can't seem to view the vid and I'm always up for a letch at Dalia (Macbook Pro running Snow Leopard & Google Chrome).
 Ben Thorne 01 Feb 2011
In reply to UKC Gear:

Anyone get a lob-on over the new GriGri2? Just me?....

You'd be surprised at the amount of 'tards (and climbing wall 'staff') that have no idea how to use a GriGri 'properly'.
 Mike Highbury 01 Feb 2011
In reply to jonny2vests:
> (In reply to Erstwhile)
> [...]
>
> [...]
>
> Thats naughty. Although lots of people appear to be naughty, including me sometimes.
>
> I can't seem to view the vid and I'm always up for a letch at Dalia (Macbook Pro running Snow Leopard & Google Chrome).

Well, if you insist on ploughing a lonely furrow (maybe you need to turn the safe viewing thing off)
 kilner 01 Feb 2011
In reply to Erstwhile:
> (In reply to UKC Gear)
>
> Why do they go on and on about always holding onto the rope?
> I thought the whole idea was that you can let go and they still lock.
>
> You can let go of old Grigris and my Cinch gadget.

Yes you can. you can also tie into your gear loops with a bow (like you tie your shoes with) and if your harness has velcro you dont need to do up your buckles.

However if you do these things long enough you will die and petzl and everyone else who states that you should always have one hand on the brake rope will say

I told you so.

Null 01 Feb 2011
In reply to Jubjab:
> [...]
>
> No you can't, and if you do that you need to change your belaying habits.

Along with most of the folk at the crag. I have never seen one release spontaneously, indeed one of the main issues seems to be getting the buggers to release after locking.
 DaveR 01 Feb 2011
In reply to Erstwhile:

The issue with always holding on to the rope is not of them releasing after locking, but not locking in the first place. In a low impact fall, say on a slab, there is the potential the force will not be large enough to cause it to lock and the rope can then start sliding through the device quicker and quicker. It's similar to a seat belt I suppose. In theory, luckily I've never seen or heard this happening!
 jezb1 01 Feb 2011
In reply to Erstwhile: I'm glad you don't belay me if you let go of the dead / inactive rope, and you have issues releasing it after load???????
 DaveR 01 Feb 2011
In reply to jezb1:

I'm guessing he means trying to give out slack when lead belaying. Because it can be a bit tricky with old ropes if you don't want to use your thumb...!
 Lee78 01 Feb 2011
In reply to henwardian:

I can't remember the title of the movie, but there is a scene where Andrada completely lets go of the dead rope to untangle a know whilst Sharma is climbing
 James Moyle 01 Feb 2011
In reply to kilner:
> [...]
>
> Yes you can. you can also tie into your gear loops with a bow (like you tie your shoes with) and if your harness has velcro you dont need to do up your buckles.
>

Properly funny!
 Jonny2vests 01 Feb 2011
In reply to UKC Gear:

It seems threads like this always get replies from those who 'know the rules'.

The reality at most sport crags is quite different.
 Mi|es 02 Feb 2011
In reply to UKC Gear: Looks pretty cool, I've never been a massive grigri fan but I'll definitely try it out if any of my friends get them. Loved the buddy check section of the vid haha.
 henwardian 24 Feb 2011
In reply to leeS:
> (In reply to henwardian)
>
> I can't remember the title of the movie, but there is a scene where Andrada completely lets go of the dead rope to untangle a know whilst Sharma is climbing

Hmm... did you watch that BBC live spectacular on Lewis? I might alienate at least one of the best climbers in Britain by saying this, but... Well, Mr MacLeods belaying was slightly, ahem, maybe I should just say "less than textbook" and leave it at that!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...