UKC

Wearing buffalo

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MG 08 May 2006
Does anyone really wear their Buffalo next to their skin as recommended. Everyone I know (including me) wears something underneath. Does it make any difference?
 Mord 08 May 2006
In reply to MG:

It can make a massive diffence. You will over heat very quickly if you don't wear it next to your skin, and then you could chill a lot faster as the layer underneith will hold sweat and when you stop make you feel cold.

M
pooh 08 May 2006
In reply to MG: First time I did it was just for a walk up Ben. It was blue skies down in Fort William, Raining about half way up, ¾ up it started snowing and was a white out on the top. I found the system worked really well, as when I was hot the venting gets to your skin and not a wet t-shirt. They say it’s not waterproof but I didn’t get wet. When I was at the top I was the only one not hiding behind the refuse. I was nice and snug. I did take extra kit with me but never needed it.
 kevinknights 08 May 2006
In reply to MG: Its a lot better next to the skin - when you vent it you actually cool down. But why do you want to wear it in May?
 malk 08 May 2006
In reply to MG: depends if you're wearing a cotton t shirt or a wicking base layer.
a friend of mine, who knows mr buffalo swears by having no undergarments when wearing their gear, but don't buffalo make underwear?- i'm sure i saw some buffalo thongs somewhere
 Mike Caine 08 May 2006
In reply to Stew.G:

> I was the only one not hiding behind the refuse.

The rubbish problem is getting pretty bad, I take it?

Nim 08 May 2006
In reply to Stew.G: I did Hellvellyn a while back - drizzle half way up, horizontal sleet on the top - by the time I got back to the car my face was blasted red, my legs were soaked to the point where my boots were filling with water (combat trousers were not a good plan), but my top half was bone dry and warm thanks to my Buffalo. I don't wear anything else when I'm out on the hill now (assuming it's cold enough for it - I think I may have died if I had worn mine on Saturday in the Lakes....).

My emergency "what if I'm stuck out and can't get back" jacket is a Buffalo (Belay jacket) too.

A Crook 08 May 2006
In reply to MG:

they are rubbish, even next to the skin.

go for layers the old way.
Stephen Reid 08 May 2006
In reply to MG: All the above answers are correct - except for Balti Boy, but you need to have it a fairly close fit for it to work properly. A lot of folk buy it way too big, and then say it doesn't work. Buffalo do make underpants but they look weird. Any quick wicking under pants will do. I have used Buffalo loads, and layering systems loads too. As long as it is seriously cold (eg Arctic in May, Himalayas above ca4500m), or damp cold (Scotland in winter) then I'd go for Buffalo, but for waterice climbing in Canada this winter for instance I found a soft shell layering system a better option as it was too hot in sheltered sunny spots for Buffalo.
 TobyA 08 May 2006
In reply to Stephen Reid: Personally having used the buffalo system (Big Face, HA salopettes, belay jacket, two hoods) for many winter seasons and various expeditions through the 1990s I always favoured a thin base layer underneath. I get too hot walking up, say, the steep bit at the start of the Ben Nevis walk-in in the shirt even with all the vents open. So I would start the walk-in just in my base layer and then put the buffalo on later. For me this worked better.

I still have HA salopettes which I wear in the depth of the Finnish winter on the coldest days, and I wear thin longjohns underneath. Its nice and snuggly. But generally now I ice climb on single pitch routes, close to the car that I can climb in lighter stretchier clothes and have a big belay jacket to put on when not climbing.
 malk 08 May 2006
In reply to Stephen Reid:
> you need to have it a fairly close fit for it to work properly

yes, that's another thing my buffalo friend goes on about
 flyboy86 08 May 2006
In reply to MG:I find nxt to the skin is best for me. They rock when walking , cutting out all the hastle of stopping to remove or add layers, i also carry a light TNF jacket to put over it for when resting/making a brew
 A Crook 08 May 2006
In reply to malk:

Ok I may have been a bit misunderstood

Yes my buffalo fits well, (tight) and yes I get far too hot, walking into crags, and far too cold when I'm belaying.

Buffaloos as far as I can tell work well if you don't stop, ot they are wet.

So I only use mine for paddling, as do the majority of my paddling mates.

And you have to admit that you don't see many in the hills anymore and those that you do are usually worn by walkers.

Anyway. each to there own. personally I feel nothing beats.

thremal-fleece-thick fleece-down-waterproof.

and layers removed to suit.
OP MG 08 May 2006
In reply to MG: Thanks for the replies. I have actually used a Buffalo top a lot for the last five years or so and like it a lot. I have just always had a thin layer underneath. One problem I have is that if wearing a rucksac, or harness, or (worse) both it is difficult to ventilate effectively. I will try with nothing underneath and see if that helps.
 malk 08 May 2006
In reply to MG:
> (In reply to MG) One problem I have is that if wearing a rucksac, or harness, or (worse) both it is difficult to ventilate effectively.

that's what the side zips are for
 Dave Stelmach 08 May 2006
In reply to MG: I skied in Kitzbuhel this season in constantly sub zero temp with a bufalo top, patagonia mixmaster trousers and only skiddies underneath. I was never cold and quite often sweating. The top was a bit smelly after a week, but washed up well. All my ski buddies had combos (jackets & fleece)on and got cold when they were sweating, some to the point of shivering.
Andy S not logged-in 08 May 2006
In reply to MG: I wore buffalo special six shirt and trousers for more than a year in Scotland through summer even and through two winters. Hill-walking virtually every weekend. I think I only wore anything other than buffalo twice and that was just a waterproof over the top when I stopped for lunch on a winter's day. I used to get called 'buffalo soldier' by my mates. So long as it's cold, I swear by it, it's awesome stuff.

I always wore it next to the skin.
 Euge 09 May 2006
In reply to MG: I have a Mardale P+P and normally wear it next to my skin, unless I am wearing trousers with braces then I wear a wicking vest.

I do find it better without the vest but too sore with the braces next to my skin.

E
Hugeos 09 May 2006
In reply to MG:

I wear my Special 6 shirt next to my skin while hillwalking, and its great.

Layers underneath are okay, but they do prevent the wicking working properly. And for god's sake don't wear cotton underneath..
sam_seed 09 May 2006
In reply to MG: gotta admit I normally wear my montane extreme with a wickering base layer underneath. Have often thought about just wearing it next to skin but fear the smell too much.
BigFour 09 May 2006
My buffalo is now 13 years old, and looks well gnarly. Ripped, 'new' home made velcro and totally faded. I always wear a lowe alpine long sleeved base layer, which is also about the same age and equally knackered.

I combine it with a lightweight pertex or goretex and shoeller trousers (winter) or shorts (summer). So I'm no immune to modern kit, I've bought and tried other tops and layering systems but always go back to the old buffalo.

It's the dogs and is bullet-proof. I'm sure I'll still be in it in another 13 years. It's the only top I've ever had which has been able to cope with 13 years of grit, scottish winter, paddling, caving, motorbiking and still be utterly usable.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...