UKC

NEW ROUTE CARD: A' Chralaig and Mullach Fraoch-choire

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Among the biggest hills north of the Great Glen, A' Chralaig and Mullach Fraoch-choire are a grand high-level ridge walking traverse. Fans of challenging days might want to rope them into a larger round with neighbouring Sgurr nan Conbhairean, but the two-Munro standard route covered here gives you the best bit of the range in a more manageable hit, building to an airy finish on the narrow South Ridge of Mullach Fraoch-choire. This short pinnacled ridge provides some engaging scrambling - all avoidable in summer, when most walkers will opt instead for the very obvious (though still briefly quite exciting) flanking path. In winter this path can sometimes bank out, and if so it will feel hairy. In heavy snow cover or icy conditions the South Ridge is elevated from an exposed walk to a grade I climb, and there are times when non-mountaineers might sensibly opt not to go all the way.

8.82 miles, 14.20 km, 1,120m ascent, 6 – 7 hours. Kyle of Lochalsh

Read more

Harry Jarvis 04 Dec 2023
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

I remember one pleasant early spring day on these hills, following what I assumed were fox tracks along the South Ridge of Mullach Fraoch-choire and being puzzled as to what a fox would be doing at that height. I can't imagine the hunting would have been very good. 

A very good day out. 

Mike-W-99 04 Dec 2023

If you’ve the energy is worth doing the short out and back to the North east top of Mullach Fraoch-choire. It’s a nice viewpoint and gives a different perspective on the route.

We also saw fox footprints last time

Lankyman 04 Dec 2023

We did this route the opposite way round (heading first up the glen) and then saving the best (the ridge and summits) for later. We saw no foxes but quite a few midges left their 'footprints' on us on the top of the Mullach - that's a still day in August for you!

ScraggyGoat 04 Dec 2023
In reply to Harry Jarvis:

It’s quiet common to see fox prints in the snow at height along ridges; apparently they patrol the boundaries of their territory for signs of intrusion.

Interestingly I once saw a grey creature the size of a fox/ large cat at height on the northern ridge I of these hills dropping to Affric. I wasn’t close enough to ID but prints confirmed it to be canine rather than feline. 
Research at home suggested that it was likely a grey fox which were historically termed ‘Dodds’.

Post edited at 11:04
 tehmarks 04 Dec 2023

This looks excellent and has inspired me to build a longer multi-day Munro-ticking outing around it. Now to wait for the snow...

Mike-W-99 04 Dec 2023
In reply to tehmarks:

If the snows good then you can cut a big corner at the north end of the 5 sisters with a not quite grade 1 gully.

tehmarks 04 Dec 2023
In reply to Mike-W-99:

That is useful to know, thank you!

felt 04 Dec 2023
 Joak 04 Dec 2023

Last year I did a nice anticlockwise traverse of these two hills from Strawberry Cottage in Glen Affric. Descent was via A' Chioch, a top that had hitherto eluded me on previous visits from the Cluanie Inn side. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...