UKC

Bonkers New Car Park For Lyme Park

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 simon manc 14 Apr 2023

Afternoon All,

Not sure how many of you are aware of the National Trust's barking mad plans for a giant new car park at Lyme Park on the western edge of the Peak District.

They're planning on moving the existing car park and doubling it in size with over a thousand places. This would make it one of the biggest car parks in Greater Manchester!

Many visitors to the park from the neighbouring conurbation of Greater Manchester, myself included reckon these plans would have massively negative impact on the wildlife and landscape of the area. 

Plus the additional traffic which the expanded car park would generate would greatly increase carbon emissions and blow a hole in the Trust's climate strategy.

Lyme is a special place for many folk in Greater Manchester as it's often been the place where people get their first taste of the wild outdoors.

There's no formal campaign against the plans as such, though luckily there's an online petition which has more detailed information:

https://www.change.org/p/oppose-national-trust-lyme-car-park-relocation-and...

Plus there's additional information on the Twitter account of @peaksandpuddles

A planning application has been submitted to the Peak Park and the deadline for comments is April 28th - so there's not much time left to mail objections.

Here's the link:

https://portal.peakdistrict.gov.uk/03230337

Thanks,

Neil Williams 14 Apr 2023
In reply to simon manc:

Some good suggestions there, but cycling is never going to be the majority means of access to the site because it involves riding down the A6, and that's grim (and it's not wide enough for Dutch style facilities, unfortunately).  Thus that'll be limited to serious road cyclists only, not family bike trips.

OP simon manc 14 Apr 2023
In reply to Neil Williams:

I get that only a few diehards will cycle given the grim A6 through High Lane.

The main objection is that NT simply haven't presented a coherent sustainable travel plan and alternative to the car.

For example reinstating the park and ride scheme from Hazel Grove and proper info about getting there on the train with a linking minibus to the park, or even letting folk know about Red Lane ie the quite lane alternative to walking from Disley Station to Lyme. 

Plus they obviously don't mention the ensuing mega snarl up on High Lane at weekends.

Given the current climate and biodiversity crises the Trust's plans are gobsmackingly disappointing.

Andy Hardy 14 Apr 2023
In reply to simon manc:

When I bike into Lyme Park I go through Poynton and in at the West Parkgate.

greg_may_ 14 Apr 2023
In reply to Andy Hardy:

I was just about to suggest that! 

marktrik 17 Apr 2023
In reply to simon ma

Looking at the plans you attached, am I right in thinking there planning to put parking and car park on the road leading in, just before you get the the house. ..... if so, surly that's going to destroy part of what Lyme Park is all about. Seeing the deer, the country park etc....

CoffeeAddikt 18 Apr 2023
In reply to marktrik:

it looks to be beyond the existing carpark, so would drive past tha hall and tearoom out toward the Knot. and the large flat below the knot 'lump' would be the new carpark. 

as a kid used to visit on a weekly, not sure it was the most used area, and was already overflow on particularily busy days. 

Not sure why people are up in arms over cycle access and cycle safety, Lyme is possibly the least accomodating to 2wheels... No access off the tarmac anywhere. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...