UKC

NEW ROUTE CARD: Carn na Caim and A' Bhuidheanach Bheag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Are these the least exciting of the Munros? Well other than the sheer convenience of an accessible high-altitude car park, it doesn't get off to an auspicious beginning. Grouse-wrecked, loud with A9 traffic, and further brutalised by the Beauly-Denny pylons, Drumochter is more grimly functional than most hillwalking start points. But you're soon above it all, and as the noise fades the sense of spaciousness opens up. On top it's easy striding to the piping soundtrack of moorland birds, and while the immediate surroundings of peat bog could have been lifted from a less eventful part of the south Pennines, the wider views are great - particularly from Carn na Caim. Not just for committed baggers, these unassuming tops turn out to be worth a half day of anyone's time.

11.68 miles, 18.80 km, 810m ascent, 4:30 – 5:30 hours. Newtonmore

Read more

Mark Bull 10 May 2023
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

"The sheer amount of backtracking does not make this the most satisfactory route, but at least you'll know the way by now."

It is possible do a more circular route by following a track beside the pylons to the back of Drumochter Lodge and then up the ridge between Coire Chuirn and Coire Chaorainn. A more direct return westward from Carn na Caim is also possible: the lower slopes are a bit rough and heathery but nothing terrible.

Even better (IMO), if you can sort the transport arrangements (2 cars, or a dropped off bike), is to do a traverse from Dalnaspidal. The Glas Mhealls ridge is really pleasant walking. 

colinakmc 11 May 2023
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

They are also very straightforward from the Gaick pass, I cycled in to somewhere near Sronphadraig Lodge and (as far as I remember) went up beside the wee burn S of Am Meadar, giving a high moorland walk over to A Bhuidhoneach Beag. Varied it coming back to the bike by coming off Carn na Caim into Cama Choire…quite exciting, but not sure that I’d recommend it!

Never saw a soul all day, I had been putting off the ascent from Balsporran as a Munro bagging chore whereas I ended up with a nice day’s exploration.

Post edited at 16:47

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...