UKC

Crossing the Allt Daim

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Catriona 11 Apr 2022

How easy is it to cross the Allt Daim (the river between Càrn Mòr Dearg and Aonach Mòr) at this time of year? Somewhere near Meall Beag, say NN176750 or higher up? I’ve seen a few photos online which suggest it would probably be impossible in spate but wondered if it’s doable at other times. Thanks.

BuzyG 11 Apr 2022
In reply to Catriona:

With current melting conditions it may not be an option. The wider sections might be worth a look, but you run the risk of a long walk around.  Any reason why you would not cross at the saddle? NN 181 720 Bit of a scramble but nothing too tricky.

OP Catriona 11 Apr 2022
In reply to BuzyG:

Thanks. Yes, I could carry on up to that saddle if I can’t cross lower down. The east ridge of CMD sounds straightforward enough. 

In reply to Catriona:

There appears to be a dam across it a bit lower down; NW of your suggested location. Satellite imagary seems to indicate faint paths on the ground, suggesting this dam might be passable as a narrow bridge. I stress might...

Jamie Hageman 11 Apr 2022
In reply to Catriona:

The higher you go, the easier it gets.  If going a long way up the valley, it's easiest to follow the true right bank as there are traces of a path and the going is a little kinder.  The true left side is rougher and there are some smooth rocks to negotiate here and there which can be slow when iced in the mornings.  

OP Catriona 11 Apr 2022
In reply to Jamie Hageman & captain p:

Thanks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...