UKC

Curved ridge help please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pmcnbear 06 Jul 2023

Hi guys I am thinking of going up curved ridge in couple weeks and need some advice.

I am a competent scrambler and do some indoor climbing and bouldering but have not went past a grade 2 scramble as of yet.

My son Is coming along with us and he is 12 and enjoys scrambling and climbing indoors.

How severe are the steep parts etc ?

I am taking rope and some protection just incase but very unsure if I should take him on it or to go round the side and do great gully/B-road buttress.

Any information or input would be really appreciated.

Thank you

In reply to Pmcnbear:

It's a serious grade 3 scramble, lots of exposure at a couple of sections, a fall from quite a lot of it would almost certainly be terminal, it would not be easy to escape from, and has danger of rockfall especially on the approach. Not a family day for most families.

On the plus side the crux is short and easily protectable. However it doesn't really sound like you know what you're doing with a rope (apologies if I'm making unfair assumptions) so that may be moot.

I do a lot of this sort of thing and would think very hard before taking my capable 12-year-old on Curved Ridge. Actually I almost certainly wouldn't, because I'd want them to be roped up the whole way and that is either hard to do safely when moving together or very time consuming if you're pitching. Perhaps my risk aversion is too high when it comes to the kids but I would definitely be more scared than they were, and that's not what I'd call a fun day out.

A much more child-friendly scramble in that area is Pink Rib on Beinn a' Chrulaiste

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=1262

geomickb 06 Jul 2023
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

I think that once you move to grade 3, you need the ability to lead easy trad. You can expect at least one pitch of 'proper climbing'. My memory of this route is that there is at least one pitch like this and route finding was tricky (another reason why it deserves grade 3). 

Graeme G 06 Jul 2023

I've seen kids on it, but like you wouldn't countenance taking my own.

To the OP it's a while since I've done it, but I do remember a section before you even get to the 'start' where you step over a significant abyss. Not for the faint hearted. The first proper section is the crux. I've been up and down it, roped and unroped. If you're happy scrambling about on grade 3 you'll be fine. If not, maybe go up first yourself before taking your child.

As others have said it's very popular so significant risk of rockfall. Route finding, particularly finding the start isn't straightforward.

It's absolutely fabulous. You def want to enjoy it, not stress about whether you're in control on the day.

Purple 06 Jul 2023
In reply to Pmcnbear:

And of course, bear in mind what the weather's doing and is forecast to do.

You wanna get up and down safely.

If, as you write, you're very unsure then go have a few super days out on easier, less consequential stuff and get on Curved Ridge on a sunny, calm day when you've more mileage under your belt.

OP Pmcnbear 06 Jul 2023

Hi mate thank you for the reply.

I haven’t lead any trad before but I can belay and set up anchors etc, although I learned all this for more emergency purposes rather than to go full read day.

Must add though that I very much intend to learn to trad and get some mod climbing and above done.

After read yours and others replies I think we will go and do broad gully buttress instead, we are doing ledge route on the Ben and back via cmd the day before so all in all should be a good day.

I’ll check that scramble out as well.

Thank you very much for all your input.

OP Pmcnbear 06 Jul 2023
In reply to Purple:

I will do some other grade 2’s and in background start to learn to trad.

I just need to find some decent courses or something that I can start doing.

if you have any ideas please let me know.

Thank you and stay safe 

McHeath 06 Jul 2023
In reply to Pmcnbear:

I remember outings with my son at that age; I‘m sure you know this, but the trick is to choose something that‘s going to be fun and exciting but never scary for him, and also something where you yourself are well within your own limits, whatever the weather or the climbing technicalities. If he wants more of it, you chose the right route. Hope you both have a great day!

Post edited at 17:34
 Graeme G 06 Jul 2023
In reply to Pmcnbear:

You’ll appreciate everyone is here is being risk averse. You and your child may well be perfectly able. But none of us know you and therefore aren’t going to say “go for it” for fear of something terrible happening.

Post edited at 18:09
 steveq 06 Jul 2023
In reply to Pmcnbear:

I did Broad Buttress with my 14 year old recently and thought it was awesome, amazing rock and the right level of exposure. There was one big step where I had the rope out for a direct belay off a rock spike, she's a good climber so was definitely capable of the moves but the drop was big enough that I went in to dad mode. I've done Curved Ridge by myself in the past and am happy to do some basic ropework but I wouldn't consider it with my daughter until she's old enough to really understand the risk. Whatever you decide upon, take helmets, there's a lot of loose rock about, we almost knocked some onto a pair scrambling below us.

Stephen

thespecialone 06 Jul 2023

couldn't agree more with these comments, good call for me   

OP Pmcnbear 06 Jul 2023
In reply to Pmcnbear:

Thank you all for the advice and help 

Post edited at 22:17
 timparkin 07 Jul 2023
In reply to steveq:

> I did Broad Buttress with my 14 year old recently and thought it was awesome, amazing rock and the right level of exposure. There was one big step where I had the rope out for a direct belay off a rock spike, she's a good climber so was definitely capable of the moves but the drop was big enough that I went in to dad mode. I've done Curved Ridge by myself in the past and am happy to do some basic ropework but I wouldn't consider it with my daughter until she's old enough to really understand the risk. Whatever you decide upon, take helmets, there's a lot of loose rock about, we almost knocked some onto a pair scrambling below us.

Helmets definitely ... Broad is better than Great Gully going up. GG has a couple of exposed climbing sections, one at the top with a consequential section with no good hand holds. People quite often abseil the two steep sections on descent. 

Broad is a lot more fun and has lots of options to vary the line to make it easier or harder. Start on the left hand side of the buttress rather than the right, which has some seeps and can get slippy.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...