UKC

Esther Dingley

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chopper 15 Aug 2021

Some time ago I decided, for various reasons, to make no further contributions to UKC. However I feel I have to break my embargo, albeit briefly.

In November 2020 Esther Dingley disappeared whilst walking in the Pyrenees south of Bagneres du Luchon and in the vicinity of the French/Spanish border. Her remains were located last week by her partner in the area near Pic de la Glere. Off and on there has been spasmodic media interest but I am more than surprised that there was no mention on the UKC forum, least of all amongst the Hillwalking fraternity. I would have thought the case would have generated a thread.

Sadly the gendarmerie seem to have concluded that Esther slipped due to worn soles on her shoes/boots and fell about 100 feet. Apparently she suffered multiple fracture and the contents of her rucksack were strewn over an area, presumably as a result of it rupturing. I assume from this information that it would have been quite a bad fall - possibly unsurviveable.

My thoughts are with Esther's loved ones.

Tallie 15 Aug 2021
In reply to Chopper:

All very sad for her family and friends, if it were me I’d find some comfort that she died doing something she enjoyed. 
There’s a thread here: https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/off_belay/esther_dingley_body_found-73798...

I suspect people don’t wish to speculate unhelpfully given the investigation is ongoing?  The reports I’ve read suggested (speculated?) that she may have encountered some ice and wasn’t wearing / didn’t have crampons rather than worn tread but you may have more detail?

I’m not sure that discussing it at this point is particularly useful and may perhaps be a little insensitive?

magma 15 Aug 2021
In reply to Chopper:

I've been following this since Esther went missing, as she used to live locally and she loved walking in the mountains.

Assuming the initial reports of the discovery at 2200m and the 20-30m fall are correct, the fall site is obvious if you look on Gmaps..

Post edited at 14:34
 magma 15 Aug 2021
In reply to Tallie:

> I’m not sure that discussing it at this point is particularly useful and may perhaps be a little insensitive?

maybe, but as it has been confirmed that it was very likely an accident and we will never know exactly how it happened then speculation is natural. when did it become ok to discuss Mallory's disappearance on Everest?

Babika 15 Aug 2021
In reply to Chopper:

My heart goes out to her partner who has searched tirelessly. Whatever the circumstances I think it takes immense courage and strength to keep searching knowing there is really only 1 outcome. 

RIP Esther and I hope her partner finds peace. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...