UKC

Foel Goch bridleway/track eyesore

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bulls Crack 05 Aug 2021

I don't remember the bridleway over to to Nant y Betws looking  like this last time I went up this way a few years ago now. It's clearly for vehicles and a complete eyesore...more than the railway

JonesE 05 Aug 2021
In reply to Bulls Crack:

It's not for vehicular use (apart from access to the property at the bottom). It has been groomed smooth with significant earth works to incorporate drainage solutions on the side, thus removing the need for water breaks. 

I believe this is partly to improve access, especially for cyclists as it links up with the Rangers Path that has had the same treatment. The Rhyd Ddu path also now links with the cycle network into Beddgelert.

It used to be a good technical ascent/descent hopping the water breaks which controlled riders speed of descent. Now it's a flat out descent which is much more dangerous and more likely to cause conflict with walkers. It will also probably be trashed by winter storms (they already had to fix some of it after a storm earlier this year).

Twiggy Diablo 06 Aug 2021
In reply to Bulls Crack:

Walked it a couple of weeks ago. Looks like it would be good for off-road wheelchair users

OP Bulls Crack 13 Aug 2021
In reply to Twiggy Diablo:

That would be a bonus but I've never seen such intrusive drainage works on a bridleway

geoff b 15 Aug 2021
In reply to Bulls Crack:

Don't get us started: its been done without any consultation with the relevant bodies (walking, mountain biking, disability access) whatsoever!

In reply to geoff b:

Who did it?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...