UKC

Glen Lyon Parking

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 th5th 03 Apr 2022

Hi folks,

As a fan of quiet back routes and proper loops I'm looking to climb Ben Lawers and friends from Glen Lyon in the next few weeks.

I am aware that over lockdown the Glen Lyon road was made a clearway, and I have the general sense (possibly undeserved) that this area is a bit of a tricky place for parking.

I've heard of people parking just off the road before the bridge at Camusvrachan (NN620477). Anyone know if there is actually space here and if it's likely to piss anyone off?

Failing that are the parking areas at Invervar and Innerwick amenable to overnight parking? (not a van) I'm planning to camp anyway so a bit of a walk in would be OK.

Thanks!

kinley2 04 Apr 2022
In reply to th5th:

Not an undeserved reputation, parking in Glen Lyon is generally difficult.

AFAIK the clearway order was altered by P and K Council to only cover a few hundred metres east and west of Invervar.

Had a similar plans for north access to the Lawers group, I'd come to the conclusion that parking at Bridge of Balgie or Invervar was the best bet. BoB has the advantage that it's not a baggers car park with limited space like Invervar. Neither had issues about overnight parking before, I'm sure North Chesthill would be very happy if you use a parking space for a few days and visit the other hills in the area!

We did do a loop of a few hills from Invervar a few years back - we both ended up with dog bites from the farmer's pack at Roromore...we did contact the Access Officer about the issues about bypassing the farm so perhaps that might be better. Link:

https://kinleyhazel.wordpress.com/2015/03/21/eastern-lawers-hills-from-inve...

Post edited at 17:17
 Mark Bull 04 Apr 2022
In reply to th5th:

I haven't been there for a while, but I have used the spot by the bridge at Camusvrachan in the past with no issues - it's not a popular start point. 

The sign at Innerwick says "No overnight camping" so I suppose leaving a car overnight and camping elsewhere is probably fine.

Taking up one of the very limited spaces at Invervar for a couple of days would at best be slightly inconsiderate. 

Dave Hewitt 05 Apr 2022
In reply to Mark Bull:

> I haven't been there for a while, but I have used the spot by the bridge at Camusvrachan in the past with no issues - it's not a popular start point. 

I've also used this spot quite a lot - possibly ten times over the years, although not since Covid so I can't provide any recent info. It's always been friendly in my experience - cheery waves from passing locals etc. It's handy for the Lawers-from-the-north loop of course but also good for the Carn Mairg group: I'm fond of going up the west side of Carn Gorm via the forest track to begin with, then round the loop and back along the bottom. Also good is the Corbett/Munro combo of Beinn Dearg and Carn Gorm.

Incidentally, if doing the Lawers thing from there, one good unfashionable option if going clockwise is to miss out Meall Garbh and go all the way up the long NW ridge of An Stuc, from glen to summit.

OP th5th 05 Apr 2022
In reply to th5th:

Thanks for the info all. Glad Camusvrachan sounds possible, but I'll be ready to head elsewhere if it turns out not to be!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...