UKC

Helvellyn routes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wolfbane 08 Dec 2020

Hi everyone

I have been up to the summit of Helvellyn a few times in winter, but always from Thirlmere side .

Going from Glenriding, is there any difference - really whether  you go via Swirrals edge then come down Striding Edge, or via Striding Edge first then Swirrals Edge back to Glendriding ? 

Monk 08 Dec 2020
In reply to wolfbane:

Depends on your skills and confidence, but coming down the top section of Striding edge is harder than Swirral (but neither should be underestimated in winter). Both are very nice ways up the mountain, and worth doing, but I think Striding Edge is better up than down, so do this if you have to pick just one.

Justaname 08 Dec 2020
In reply to wolfbane:

Glenridding approaches are longer, but much nicer. Normally up Striding Edge as opposed to down. Taking in Catsty Cam sfter descending Spittal Edge is nice too.

GrahamD 09 Dec 2020
In reply to wolfbane:

I think most people go up Striding down Swirral,  so if you don't like going against the tide, that's what I'd do.

Dark-Cloud 09 Dec 2020
In reply to wolfbane:

On a busy day Striding and Swirral are the worst place to be in the Lakes, i avoid them entirely in peak season, if you can do midweek and early then that's far more enjoyable and you are less likely to get stuck behind somebody in jeans and Nike whatever's having an epic......

Also your profile says you are in Greater Manchester, i will just leave this here for you to read:

https://tfgm.com/coronavirus

Post edited at 10:01
OP wolfbane 09 Dec 2020

Yes , thanks , ive recently moved to Warrington, so iam not in Greater Manchester anymore.  Agreed, peak season I would stay well away from these areas , many thanks.

TobyA 09 Dec 2020
In reply to wolfbane:

It's a lovely day either way round. If I walk up via the Coppermine YHA I tend to do Swirral first, if you go up via Birkhouse Moor do Striding first. Early winter I've done the ridge bit of Striding not needing crampons but was glad to have them as I went down the top of Swirral. Direct up to Birkhouse Moor is a slog!

The main bits of Swirral are a bit higher so it can be slightly different winter conditions. The round from Glenridding isn't particularly big a day if you're a regular hill walker - 13.34 Kms and 846 mtrs of ascent Strava tells me from last time I did it.

Dave Hewitt 09 Dec 2020
In reply to TobyA:

It's quite a long day from Coppermines hostel! (I live with the daughter of the Coppermines warden from the late 1950s.)

I've only been round the edges a few times but tend to prefer up Swirral, down Striding, as the more awkward bits, such as they are, are encountered in ascent. I have a couple of Cumbrian pals, one of whom has been up Helvellyn over 200 times (including at least once each year since 1959 - very impressive) and the other more than 100 times, and I think from what they've said that they both prefer Swirral first. But these things are always a matter of personal preference and conditions etc. Good day out either way, as you say.

The Lemming 09 Dec 2020
In reply to wolfbane:

Nobody has suggested a direct assault of Catsty Cam from the west side.

Much more sporting way up. Gets the quads screaming and the lungs a blasting 😀

Post edited at 18:48
 pec 09 Dec 2020
In reply to TobyA:

> It's a lovely day either way round. If I walk up via the Coppermine YHA I tend to do Swirral first,

Surely you mean the Glenridding YHA? The Coppermines YHA is miles away at Coniston.

TobyA 10 Dec 2020
In reply to pec:

> Surely you mean the Glenridding YHA? The Coppermines YHA is miles away at Coniston.

I probably do - as guess just because it's below the old mining spoils and works I mixed up the names. I mean the place where the skiers are allowed to drive to and park, if they are club members up at the Raise tow. Was it copper that was mined there? Or something totally different?

Lankyman 10 Dec 2020
In reply to TobyA:

> Was it copper that was mined there? Or something totally different?

It was a lead mine. I had a fantastic trip down there years ago from the entrance over in Glencoyne. Lots of fixed ladders down to the lower levels by the Greenside buildings. They blasted the entrance there when the mine closed (early sixties?). I remember going into a cavern where there was a wooden table with a newspaper on it with headlines about Charles de Gaulle. It was a long haul back up to the top entrance!

wercat 10 Dec 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

> I remember going into a cavern where there was a wooden table with a newspaper on it with headlines about Charles de Gaulle. It was a long haul back up to the top entrance!

Was he Saying "Non!" to Britain joining the EEC again?

Lankyman 10 Dec 2020
In reply to wercat:

> Was he Saying "Non!" to Britain joining the EEC again?

What's the French for 'It'll all end in tears'? I imagine that would be appropriate.

Kalna_kaza 10 Dec 2020
In reply to pec:

> Surely you mean the Glenridding YHA? The Coppermines YHA is miles away at Coniston.

It's actually called YHA Helvellyn with YHA Patterdale being the next nearest. 

Very much the mirror of YHA Coppermines and YHA Coniston Holly Howe in terms of both size and relative geography.

In reply to pec:

Surely you mean the YH Helvellyn....👍

Wainers44 12 Dec 2020
In reply to wolfbane:

Longest Helvellyn route. Leave South Devon coast at 0600. Drop son off at Princetown on Dartmoor for 0700. Drive to Lakes, book night in Camping Barn at Greenside on way up. Arrive barn 1300, go up Striding Edge in full winter nick, down Swirral.

Back at barn endure a shocking cold night. Up at 0400 for breakfast outside under a bruised purple black sky. Wade to Striding Edge through thigh deep over night snow drifts. Call mum from Helvellyn Summit at 0800 to wish her happy mother's day.

Nethermost Pike, down edge to Hard Tarn, back up Jogebar Gully, back over Helvellyn Summit, Swirral Edge, Catstycam, descend N side to dam in Keppelcove.  Leg it back to car. Short shut eye then drive home. Nice weekend.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...