UKC

Hills in Cowal?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lankyman 03 May 2023

Last month I spent time on Bute and then a few days in Cowal. I've been affected by long covid and can't manage anything too far or too full on (haven't felt up to Munros certainly). It's been a question of seeing what I can get away with without running out of steam up on the hill. Anyway, I managed Beinn Mhor, Beinn Ruadh and Beinn Bheula with rest days in between each of them (have felt wasted this week!). There seem to be some nice looking hills about but the big issue is often getting on to them through the forestry. Does anyone have any recommendations for good hills that don't involve a desperate thrash through trees etc? I'm not after ticking lists, just a nice hill walk.

Mark Bull 03 May 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

I haven't really done anything in the south of the area, but a round of Stob na Boine Druim-fhinn, Beinn Tarsuinn and Beinn Lochain from Lochgoilhead is good and free from tree-bashing. I also fairly recently enjoyed doing Stob an Eas and Beinn an t-Seilich from the high point of the Hell's Glen road - a forestry track and short firebreak gives access to the open hillside. Another decent walk from Lochgoilhead is to take the upper track on the E side of Loch Goil and do The Saddle, Beinn Reithe and Cnoc Coinnich, a down via the Cowal Way. Over The Saddle and towards Beinn Reithe is quite rough going, but it improves thereafter.  

Post edited at 15:41
OP Lankyman 03 May 2023
In reply to Mark Bull:

Some useful stuff there, thanks, Mark. I've looked at that ridge north from Beinn Lochain since spotting it years back from The Steeple above Lochgoilhead. Doing the Cowal Way last year gave me closer looks and it certainly seems worthwhile. I car camped just off the Hell's Glen road last week but by then I'd run out of steam and just managed a woodland walk near Ardgartan! They look quite impressive from the north (Kinglass) those two. That last suggestion looks good although I suspect the distances might see me off. Doing the Cowal Way I managed about 10 miles a day and had to stop and camp by late afternoon-ish before I keeled over!

Mark Bull 03 May 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

You are very welcome!  Just going up and down Cnoc Coinnich on its own would still be worthwhile. 

malky_c 03 May 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

Yikes - I can't imagine Cowal and Long Covid being a great mix! My partner is finally recovering from it after the best part of 3 years and has informed me that she won't be going anywhere near Cowal for the forseeable. Maybe I have told her too many scare stories about the trees and vegetation in the past....

I think Mark has covered some of the best hills, but you may also manage Cruach nan Capull based on what you have done already. I remember it being a bit squelchy but if you approach from Corrachaive Glen in the north and get onto a rather wet path through the trees at around NS099808 then you can get clear of the trees without too much hassle (well you could 8 years ago). The summit is good for views down Loch Striven over Bute and Arran. I ended up carrying on to Cruach Neuran by some firebreaks but you may be best retreating the same way.

Sgorach Mor is probably a more interesting summit but I'm not so sure how easy it is. My memory of it was more pushing through trees and following boggy quad bike tracks but the Clachaig Hill flank to the south looks to have been felled and may have better tracks onto the high ground now - pure speculation by me though.

I like Cowal as it is rugged and has sea lochs and I don't really know it that well, but I'd rate it as some of the toughest terrain in the country alongside some of the Galloway hills.

OP Lankyman 03 May 2023
In reply to malky_c:

Thanks, Malky - I suspect I may have been reading a few of your reports on Walkhighlands, including the hills you mention! The long covid thing seems to be such a variable for so many people. Early in the day I'm going well but later the legs and body just switch off. I'm just glad I can do what I can. Yes, Cowal is quite tough going but it's a lot quieter than the Munros. I think the tussocks in Galloway get the prize IMO.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...