UKC

How to create a historical gpx route??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rjb 03 Sep 2023

Hi all,

I'm starting to create a log of all my old walks. Does anyone know of a website where I can plot a route (like RWGPS where it snaps to paths) but where I can set a historical start time/date? I'm keen to upload these files to create a digital log of where and when I've walked. This is obviously before I bought a Garmin.

RWGPS only goes back to 2013. Most of my walks in question by are well before that date.

Thanks

Post edited at 22:06
 elsewhere 03 Sep 2023
In reply to rjb:

I find komoot user friendly.

Give Komoot a go and create a planned route. If it works you can pay £4 (area), £8 (region of several areas) to £30 (world) and you have lifetime access which allows you to export route as GPX. 

An exported GPX is an XML file which is just text, so if the date doesn't match you can search and replace all 2023-09-03 to 1970-01-01 or whatever in notepad or a text editor.

Komoot: I've not looked at GPX format of planned routes as on phone so can't conveniently look at text of GPX file but in OSmap viewer a planned route has a date of day I created it so search and replace all should work.

no idea what date zero for Komoot is

Post edited at 22:37
 G. Tiger, Esq. 03 Sep 2023
In reply to rjb:

If I need to do this, I create a route in Strava - I think you need to subscribe for this nowadays - export it as a gpx file then upload it at gotoes.org (https://gotoes.org/gotoes/strava/Add_Timestamps_To_GPX.php)

Fill in the date and time and a suggestion of speed and it'll create a time stamped record for you.

I use veloviewer.com (£10/year) to visualise where I have been. It pulls the data from Strava and you can filter for walking /biking / paddling etc. And plenty of geeky depths to explore there too. 

Ta GTE

Marek 03 Sep 2023
In reply to rjb:

What are you planning to do with all this data you're creating? Display it in some mapping app?  That may affect the answer since GPX is not a standard - more a set of minimal hints as to how to structure the data. Virtually every GPX generator produces a different XML structure and they are not necessarily cross compatible.

In reply to Marek:

> Virtually every GPX generator produces a different XML structure and they are not necessarily cross compatible.

There is an XML schema for GPX files. I've not experienced too much problem with interchanging between different tools, or manipulating them with simple parsing scripts, or even creating my own GPX files from other coordinate pair sets.

The WheresThePath website is still just about working, even though my colleague Bill discontinued supporting it due to Google mucking about with tile limits. It has a 'magic wand' that can be used when creating routes, which uses publicly-available PRoW routes segments (where the LA has published them). This makes creating routes fairly easy.

Alternatively, pretty much any mapping app will allow route creation; you don't need it to be a perfect track, so create as many route segments as you need to be happy with the route fit to the paths. Routes will not have time data, obviously. Depending on the tool, the route may have elevation data.

Post edited at 23:16

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...