UKC

Parking in the hills.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Diddy 25 Sep 2020

I am experiencing cabin fever and would like advice and others experience of leaving vehicle for a while to go off and walk. I have a micro camper and would l like to walk for a week or so. I  want to use my camper to get from my home in Lincolnshire up to the hills preferably Scotland. I usually use public transport but I don`t want to use that at the moment. I need somewhere to park the Berlingo whilst I do a walk. I have done circular walks using Braemar as a base.; done similar for Scottish ski resorts. I often have a daily pub meal but right now would aim to be self sufficient

I have experience having done all 19 GB national Trails. I have used Glasgow airport and flown off to the Hebrides in the past.  I have also used a campsite at the beginning and end of my walks, leaving the car in between. Just strikes me now I could use a ferry terminal.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

J101 25 Sep 2020
In reply to Diddy:

Plenty of parking for up to a week in Mallaig, and I'm sure one of the car parks is for longer. Get the boat over to Knoydart if it's still running and away you go.

Edit: probably best to point out that if covid advice/legislation changes while you're walking there's always the possibility of not being able to get a boat back, and it's a bit of walk to go round, unless you made that the walk in the first place I guess.

Post edited at 16:53
In reply to Diddy:

Are you asking for specific places to park (the answer to which is, or course, very dependent on where you want to walk), or just general thoughts?

I've never had a problem parking overnight or for a couple of nights in Scotland, but I try to park considerately and realise I could just have been lucky vis break ins etc. I don't think I've ever left a car parked up somewhere random for a week.

Maybe you could ask a hotel, hostel or similar if they'd mind you tucking the van into their car park for a few nights, perhaps on the promise of eating/sleeping there afterwards? I don't imagine everywhere is open at the moment, so the places that are will probably be busy.

toad 25 Sep 2020
In reply to Diddy:

Not strictly relevant but when I have been moving my boat, I've almost always found a pub that was happy to help for a couple of pints and maybe a fiver in their charity tin

Toccata 25 Sep 2020
In reply to Diddy:

Plenty of places will allow you to park a vehicle for a few days (and a few) if you talk to them. An example (and a good base) would be the Old School Hostel in Dalwhinnie.

OP Diddy 27 Sep 2020
In reply to Toccata:

Thank you for the replies, just needed general advice not particular laybys.  I am a member of Britstops and often ask pubs not in that if it is ok to park up over night.

In reply to Diddy:

I left my car in mallaig car park for 6 nights in mid September while on a bikepacking tour round the outer Hebrides and back down the mainland west coast. Seemed to be lots of people doing similar. There is a ticket machine but it is out of action. Not sure if this has been taken out of service or if it is just broken. 

If walking, from mallaig you could get the ferry to knoydart have have a great few days out.

PPP 28 Sep 2020
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

> I don't imagine everywhere is open at the moment, so the places that are will probably be busy.

You need to book a full room for a hostel, so even if it’s open, it would be much quieter as there’s fewer households travelling in. 

As for the OP, I never had a problem leaving a car for days. I think the longest might have been 3-4 days. I typically do leave a note on the windscreen with suggested return time and the rough route. It probably attracts thieves more though. 

henwardian 28 Sep 2020
In reply to Diddy:

I have only had a car broken into once in Scotland and it was while I was out on the hill for the day. A friend left a handbag on the front seat and I think this was the catalyst as they stole this (which had absolutely nothing of any value in it) and left all the expensive outdoor kit on the back seat.

Leave you glove compartment open with nothing inside. Leave your curtains open with absolutely nothing of any value in view. If it looks like you have considered the possibility of a breakin you should be less of a target.

Tbh, I don't think I would worry about about it too much in the N of Scotland, crime is pretty low, I know plenty of people who are still lax about locking their house when they go out.

If looking for somewhere nice, there is loads of wilderness in Glen Affric and to the North around Loch Mullardoch and Loch Monar which are both pretty impressively isolated, you could probably plan a circuit there taking in incredible scenery with 20 or so Munros. If you finish early there or want to spend a few nights in the camper, there are several good days out in Glen Shiel. You can do the 5 sisters of Kintail and if you are fit, you can tack the 3 brothers onto this. There is also the South ridge of Glen Shiel which can give you 9 Munros in a day if that is your bag.

(All of those last single days are a bit nicer if you have a bike you can stash to get back to the van more quickly).

Removed User 28 Sep 2020
In reply to Diddy:

Although there's less and less unpaid for parking in Oban the backstreets are still available. Near the sports ground is hand and if using the ferryport the minor road that goes south from there has a few options.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...