UKC

Peak Walk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hi folks.

I'm in need of a little inspiration for circular a walk on Saturday.

Walk: 6-10 miles ish

Suitable for: 10 year old lab, 13 year old daughter

Points of Interest: some babbling brooks, dog walking/swimming, a hill or two. Nice pub for the finish

I'd rather avoid the busy spots is possible. I'll be able to get a detailed route if some pointers can be given.

Thanks

Richard

abr1966 23 Aug 2022
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

My local hill....but western Peak! Shining Tor and back round via Erwood hall....plenty of nice views and a bit of interest etc....plenty of info on Google or YouTube. Buxton down the road for after walk food, drink, shop etc...

In reply to abr1966:

Thanks abr. It would be too difficult to list all the hills I have personally ticked off which I dont want to repeat (Im a hill bagger) but Shining Tour would be one of them. A great day was had too.

Post edited at 13:01
 abr1966 23 Aug 2022

It's a good spot for sure and I'm lucky it's on the doorstep....you've probably done it already but the Macc forest - Shutlingsloe - Shining Tor - Macc forest is good too....

In reply to abr1966:

> It's a good spot for sure and I'm lucky it's on the doorstep....you've probably done it already but the Macc forest - Shutlingsloe - Shining Tor - Macc forest is good too....

You are, and when schooling is done, Im moving into the hills. Ive done that route too.🙂

Hi Richard

I have documented a few walks on UKH that might fit the bill.

Rushup Edge Away from the Crowds - https://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=1347
No pub directly on that one but only a short detour into Edale to find a couple. 

Eyam History Walk - https://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=1337
Not as quiet as some others and a bit short, but interesting things encountered all the time like the hidden BMX track in the woods, various graves and signs in the village and lots of tragic stories.

Ughill Moor and Boots Folly - https://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=1332
Always very quiet and surprisingly beautiful. No pub on the walk but the Strines and Ladybower Inn aren't far away.

Abney Moor - https://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=1283
Great quiet walk with superb views of the eastern edges. No pub on walk.

Bretton Clough and Eyam Moor - https://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=323
Lovely quiet circuit with "the highest pint in the Peak" in the Barrel Inn.

Combes Dale - https://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=196
A bit short maybe but with great views towards Froggatt. Pubs in Calver.

Chee Dale Loop - https://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=151
Busy on the bike track but much less so on the valley base path on the return apart from the section under the Cornice. Tunnels and stepping stones add to family fun and Anglers Rest is close to the parking.

Post edited at 09:12
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

Superb thanks. I didn't know UKH had this resource. I'll check it out next time.

Alan, thanks again.

Richard 

Offwidth 24 Aug 2022

You probably know this already but here is some great stuff between Southwell and Nottingham: around Epperstone, Lambley, Halloughton  and some flatter stuff along the Trent and the old gravel pits (loads of options from Bleasby to the Netherfield lagoons nature reserve).

One of my favourites is from Epperstone (nice cafe and good pub ...both with gardens...lots of kids stuff in the pub garden) walk out the back of the pub garden and up, then right, then up a quiet road ( Hagg Lane), then right to Hagg farm and left down (passing the second oldest sheep dip in England) and up again to the hill top private road/track (from Thurgaton), near a small airfield (about 100m left along the road/track ). Cross this road/track and wiggle along the footpath to Halloughton. Walk back through the village (towards Epperstone) along a very quiet lane to a farm and a footpath leading back to to the road/ track from Thurgarton and cross this to pick up another hilly footpath (starting at a big house with a pond....down via two dumbles and up to another pond, near a big windturbine) and back down to Epperstone at the pub (about 6 miles). Alternatively, after Halloughton,  once back at the road/track turn right and follow it to almost its end at Hollybeck Garden Center (some of the biggest cake portions I've ever seen), turn left just before this, and follow a wiggly bridleway track through woods and fields (initially boggy in winter) to a final half mile down a quiet road to Epperstone (about 8 miles). You can also follow the private road/track, once across the valley from Hagg farm, direct to the Garden Center and back to Epperstone on the bridleway (about 6 miles).

Post edited at 14:24
In reply to Offwidth:

That's amazing. Thanks.

My wife comes from Southwell so she will know it better than me. 

Mods, is there a way of emailing a thread to yourself?

Post edited at 15:23
 steveb2006 24 Aug 2022

Far Eastern Peak Barbrook Pool SK 276 761 is a nice spot for a swim and combine with a walk over White Edge.  Muddy bottom but pleasant moorland spot.  Could park by Ramsley Reservoir SK288 746 but you can just park on A621 as well to make a shorter walk.

Edit - I just realised you mean for the dog to swim. Anyway still a nice walk

Post edited at 15:35

> Mods, is there a way of emailing a thread to yourself?

Not directly but if you click on the Link icon in the top right of a post it will copy a link to your clipboard.

deepsoup 25 Aug 2022

There is the "save thread" button up the top there (and on individual posts) too.  Handy for keeping useful snippets of UKC malarky where you can find them.

To see what things you have saved, click on the "User" drop-down thingy up on the top right and "saved content" is at the bottom of the menu there.

deepsoup 25 Aug 2022
In reply to steveb2006:

> Far Eastern Peak Barbrook Pool SK 276 761 is a nice spot for a swim and combine with a walk over White Edge.  Muddy bottom but pleasant moorland spot.  Could park by Ramsley Reservoir SK288 746 but you can just park on A621 as well to make a shorter walk.

To make it a longer walk and avoid some of the busy-ness closer to White Edge and the Longshaw estate, you could nominate the Royal Oak as the pub and park in Millthorpe.  There's a bit of space at the end of Millthorpe Lane at SK318765 (lat/long 53.2840, -1.5252).

From there go South on Mill Lane (the minor road marked as a dead end) - cross the ford at Millthorpe Brook, ignore the footpath coming in from the right just past the houses and then where the tarmac ends it sort of splits into three rights of way.  (Bridleway up the lane between the hedges, footpath either side.)  The footpath to the right (over two stiles just at the end of the farm driveway) goes across fields to a lovely path up through the woods around Pingle Dike.  If the stiles were a pain in the arse with the dog it's also nice to go straight up the lane towards Johnnygate.

From the top of the hill where you onto the road after skirting round Moorhall Farm there's about a mile of tarmac (it's a nice quiet road though, with pleasant views) to Shillito Wood, and a bit more to Ramsley Reservoir.  (Disused - like the big Barbrook Reservoir it's been drained and had a big "V" cut out of the dam.)

As above from there, perhaps find the ruins of Ramsley House, visit the little Barbrook Reservoir, White Edge, possibly even Froggatt/Curbar etc..

Then from the big Barbrook (ex) reservoir, there are several routes you can take across access land down towards Smeekley Wood.  There are some delightful little paths that follow Millthorpe Brook through the woods there.

The main road from Millthorpe up to Owler Bar is nasty to walk on though - twisty, narrow and quite busy.  (With some impatient drivers who won't give you enough space.)  So with a dog and a child I'd avoid that bit and go up the hill and across Fox Lane, taking the footpath over to Unthank Hall, and the path going East from the bend on Unthank Lane is the same one you'd have passed on the way out of Millthorpe at the start.

David Riley 25 Aug 2022
In reply to Offwidth:

For many years I ran the AAA league race at Epperstone.  Lovely area.

Sadly ended for road safety reasons, I believe.  The replacement course is Hexgreave Park.

Offwidth 25 Aug 2022
In reply to David Riley:

There are a few walks there that are really good but involve small sections on, or crossing of, busy roads... one reason I gave the walk above is very quiet roads. There is a great long walk from Gedling Country park, via Lambley, Woodborough and Epperstone to Southwell and back in a loop via Halloughton, Lowdham and Lambley (with longer options to return via the Trent and Burton Joyce).

In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

Hi Alan, Ive just checked through the UKH site which is really cool.

Is there a way of importing or linking to Hill-Bagging.co.uk as I tend to visit UKC more than any other outdoor resource and the mobile app is easier to navigate?

Post edited at 12:09

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...