UKC

Scafell from Langdale

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 goose299 05 Mar 2015
Anyone know if there's any considerable amount of snow in thsi area

Takign a friend up there and debating if crampons and an axe are needed?

Also I've done Scafell from both Wasdale and Borrowdale before but never Langdale. How long does it roughly take?
 BnB 05 Mar 2015
In reply to goose299:

The whole Scafell massif is covered in snow from a height of about 500m. You'd be crazy not to take crampons, though the choice of axe or poles is up to you.
OP goose299 05 Mar 2015
In reply to BnB:

Brilliant

Thanks for the info
 Simon Caldwell 05 Mar 2015
In reply to goose299:

When are you going?
In reply to goose299:

Done it from Langdale once (in the summer). Think it's about 12 miles, and about 4000ft of ascent, so it feels (or it did to me) longer than 12 miles. At a steady pace though, about 8hrs.

OP goose299 05 Mar 2015
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Saturday
In reply to goose299:

Do you mean Scafell or Scafell Pike? Scafell a v long day (over Esk Pike, Scafell Pike, Broadstand). If aim is just to get to top of Scafell perhaps via descent into Great Moss is faster?
 Simon Caldwell 05 Mar 2015
In reply to goose299:

On Saturday (after 2 days wet warm windy weather) I'd expect most snow to have melted - most of what is currently there is fresh powder that has fallen since last weekend. What remains will mostly be old snow (and probably ice on footpaths).

I'd definitely take axe and crampons, but with the expectation of not needing either.
OP goose299 05 Mar 2015
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Sorry, Scafell Pike

Yeh, we'll take poons and an axe a piece
Thanks all
 Mark Eddy 05 Mar 2015
In reply to goose299:

Just back from a day on Scafell Pike, here's a quick write up with photos of what it's like:
http://www.mountain-journeys.co.uk/blog/a-snowy-scafell-pike

The snow / ice is thawing at summit level. We used crampons for about 50 metres whilst ascending the steep ground to Mickledore. With care it was doable without.

Hope you have a good day up there.
 Dave the Rave 05 Mar 2015
In reply to goose299:
It's a bit of a trek as I remember.
Don't forget that the days are still short and the potential ankle breaking boulder field on ?Ill Crag which may be under snow.
The forecast is for 10/c visibility and south westerly gusts( the way you will be walking on the outward leg) of 40-60 mph.
Personally, I would be choosing an alternative .
In reply to goose299:

I once did Scafell Pike from Langdale via Angle Tarn, Great Moss and Cockley Pike Ridge. By God it was a long hard day.
 Dave Hewitt 05 Mar 2015
In reply to Rylstone_Cowboy:

> I once did Scafell Pike from Langdale via Angle Tarn, Great Moss and Cockley Pike Ridge. By God it was a long hard day.

It's a good day out from Coniston via the high ground all the way - it is in Wainwright's Southern Fells book after all - but probably not really the conditions for that for another few weeks...
In reply to Dave Hewitt:

> It's a good day out from Coniston via the high ground all the way - it is in Wainwright's Southern Fells book after all - but probably not really the conditions for that for another few weeks...

I think you've got to be joking. And how long did the round trip take Mr Wainwright?
 Dave Hewitt 05 Mar 2015
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> I think you've got to be joking.

I fear not - I've only been on the Pike twice, once by the Langdale route as per the OP's query (in May 1983), then in June 2002 from Coniston. I've got timing notes for the latter day - went Old Man (by the southern shoulder), Swirl How, Great Carrs, Cold Pike, Crinkle Crags, Bowfell, Esk Pike and then Scafell Pike. Got there in 6hr 51min including 48 minutes of lounging, so a not-too-long six hours in terms of actual walking. Came back via Broad Crag and Ill Crag and down to Langdale, and would have been happy enough walking back via the roads - nice sunny evening - but in the end phoned from the ODG (didn't have a mobile back then) and was collected by my better half's late father somewhere near Chapel Stile. That was after about 10 hours 15 mins, so the whole thing could have been done in about 11 hours 45 including loads of stops - a long day but not ridiculously so in good summer weather.

Re the OP's question about how long from Langdale, on that day - in very dry summer conditions - it took me 2 hours 50 mins back from the Pike to the ODG, via the two lesser summits and including 15 minutes off in Rossett Gill, and with probably a few other short stops along the way.

I've also climbed High Stile from Coniston - on a stupidly hot day when I was OK (or so I thought) until Sty Head, then began to struggle badly with dehydration and almost keeled over. I've never been so aware of Ronald Turnbull's astute observation that "dehydration doesn't feel like thirst, it feels like tiredness". Gable was very hard work and if I hadn't met a friend on Brandreth I wouldn't have managed it. The stretch over Haystacks was a fuzzy blur. Got a lift back from Buttermere and had to be put on a tea drip for the rest of the evening. Another memorable day, though - you have to do these things sometimes.
OP goose299 05 Mar 2015
In reply to A Mountain Journey:

Brilliant. Thanks!
OP goose299 05 Mar 2015
In reply to Dave the Rave:
> The forecast is for 10/c visibility and south westerly gusts( the way you will be walking on the outward leg) of 40-60 mph.

> Personally, I would be choosing an alternative .

Where are you seeing that wind forcast. Yr.no gives a light to moderate breeze
http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/England/Wasdale/
Post edited at 22:19
 John Kelly 05 Mar 2015
In reply to goose299:

think langdale campsite to pike 5 miles and if you keep going should be about 3 hrs weather permitting

Dave the Rave 06 Mar 2015
In reply to goose299:
Mwis bud.
It's often wrong though.
Good luck.
 BnB 06 Mar 2015
In reply to goose299:

> Where are you seeing that wind forcast. Yr.no gives a light to moderate breeze

It's a common observation among weather watching inhabitants of NW Scotland (ie climbers and fishermen) that yr.no always gives a light breeze. A British gale probably is a light breeze to a Norwegian, though I must say we do have some impressive breezes on Skye.
In reply to goose299:
Here bud. It's not changed this am either. Updates about 1630 I think.

www.mwis.org.uk/english-welsh.../LD/

OP goose299 06 Mar 2015

Cheers bud. Well we're still going to head up.
Not afraid to turn back if the weather craps out anyway
 Simon Caldwell 06 Mar 2015
In reply to Dave Hewitt:

Last year we started from Little Langdale, went over Pike o Blisco, Crinkle Crags, Bowfell, Esk Pike, Great End, Ill Crag, Scafell Pike, Scafell, Slight Side, down Moasdale, then back via Wrynose and Rough Crags. Just under 20 miles, took 10 hours 30 mins. A great day out, and one I've been meaning to do for about 20 years!

To the OP:
ODG to Scafell Pike via Angle Tarn and Esk Hause is 5 miles and about 950m ascent, on pretty good paths all the way. How long that takes depends on how fast you go
 Simon Caldwell 06 Mar 2015
In reply to goose299:

That's a good attitude! Forecast doesn't sound that bad to me
http://www.mwis.org.uk/english-welsh-forecast.asp?fa=LD&d=2015-03-07
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

> That's a good attitude! Forecast doesn't sound that bad to me

You have balls bigger than King Kong
In reply to Dave Hewitt:

I would also like to recommend Helvellyn from Egremont and Skiddaw from Millom.
 Dave Hewitt 06 Mar 2015
In reply to harold walmsley:
> I would also like to recommend Helvellyn from Egremont and Skiddaw from Millom.

Sounds good to me! Saves on fuel at least. Actually, visiting all of AW's Southern Fells as daytrips on foot from Coniston - including the weirdly quite-far-north ones such as Glaramara and Rosthwaite Fell - feels like a decent long-term project...
Post edited at 17:11
 Dave the Rave 07 Mar 2015
In reply to goose299:
Did you get your walk done? Was it as windy as forecast?
OP goose299 07 Mar 2015

Yeh, we went up from wasdale head in the end.
Turns out, mwis was right. Gusting like you wouldn't believe. It probably was 50-60mph.
Visibility was pretty poor too. Probably 30-40ft at best

Ended up helping two women find their dog that ran off into the clag and walking them down as they didn't quite know the way.
In reply to goose299:
I'm glad you're ok. The wind here at 100m in north wales has been quite bad!
I've thought about you all day, but not in a pervy way!
The Mwis forecasts are often exaggerated I've found, but fair play, they were correct.
At least the dog is safe

OP goose299 07 Mar 2015

> I've thought about you all day, but not in a pervy way!

And that's what they all say.

Cheers though bud.
In reply to goose299:
No probs.
An Ali G aieeeee!
Were they fit? There no easier way into a woman's knickers than to rescue the dog of a damsel in distress! It happened to me a few years back!
OP goose299 07 Mar 2015
Ha, yeh both were alright.

I don't think the missus and kid would be to chuffed with me trying to get in another lasses knickers though.
 Brass Nipples 07 Mar 2015
In reply to goose299:

> Ha, yeh both were alright.

> I don't think the missus and kid would be to chuffed with me trying to get in another lasses knickers though.

Besides the knickers probably wouldn't fit.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...