UKC

Sleeping bag for Scotland summer-autumn?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy S 03 Aug 2020

I'm buying my first new sleeping bag in nearly 20 years this week and I'm not sure what weight down to go for. I'm looking at bags that are rated for +7 degrees C comfort rating but I'm not sure if it's enough. It's gotta be ok for a camping in the hills up to around 500m in Scotland in Spring, Summer and Autumn. 

I'm v experienced at doing these little trips into the hills but I've had the same 3 season bag for 20 years, so I'm finding it difficult to gauge! I'd really like to downsize to a lighter bag if I can.

I'll be using a mat with a bit of insulation in - not a completely hollow one, and I like to sleep in just my pants.

Thoughts?

Post edited at 15:54
 bouldery bits 03 Aug 2020
In reply to Andy S:

For that use, I'd be looking at something rated around the low minuses (O to -5 ish) and I'd go for down if I had the budget if you're looking to cut weight and bulk.

The Alpkit bags are good for the money. 

BB,

Southern softy.

PPP 03 Aug 2020
In reply to Andy S:

After trying a quilt, I’m a completely converted to them. It’s so much easier to get in and out, feels roomier and you don’t end up wrestling with your sleeping bag. 

That, and sub-500g quilt I have packs up so much better than a 900g sleeping bag (Rab Neutrino Endurance 400), half of which gets squished by your body anyway. 

I got a Thermarest Vesper 32F/0C. I can’t see going back to a sleeping bag, to be honest. 

Dan Arkle 03 Aug 2020
In reply to Andy S:

I was about to suggest you go synthetic for Scotland. Heavier and less warm on your first night, but by day three it won't be a soggy mess.

It looks like like you'll get a conflicting opinion from each reply! Good luck sorting the wheat from the chaff! 

bouldery bits 03 Aug 2020
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Hahaha! Yeah. My view is, if you've got your sleeping bag wet, you're a wally.

However, I can also see the appeal of 'its a bit wet but I won't die'.

Cheers,

BB

Dan Arkle 03 Aug 2020
In reply to bouldery bits:

In a small tent in rain my down bag gets damp from condensation, much more if I ever touch the sides. I expect hydrophobic downs are a little better. 

Some more questions for Andy:

How long are your trips? Overnight? 3 days? 

Do you mainly go out on a good forecast, or are you happy walking and camping in proper rain?

Are you flush, or a cheapskate? That quilt idea looks interesting, but a ok three season bag could be got for half that price. 

How light do you want? The lightest materials might not last 20 more years. 

OP Andy S 03 Aug 2020

> For that use, I'd be looking at something rated around the low minuses (O to -5 ish) and I'd go for down if I had the budget if you're looking to cut weight and bulk.

> The Alpkit bags are good for the money. 

> BB,

> Southern softy.

I think I'd just take my old 3 season down bag for the cooler months come to think of it so I reckon purchasing a lighter bag/quilt would make sense for me now

OP Andy S 03 Aug 2020
In reply to PPP:

> After trying a quilt, I’m a completely converted to them. It’s so much easier to get in and out, feels roomier and you don’t end up wrestling with your sleeping bag. 

> That, and sub-500g quilt I have packs up so much better than a 900g sleeping bag (Rab Neutrino Endurance 400), half of which gets squished by your body anyway. 

> I got a Thermarest Vesper 32F/0C. I can’t see going back to a sleeping bag, to be honest. 

Yeah I'd actually really like a quilt - I didn't know they existed til I started browsing the other day - the zip has been broken on my down bag for years but it hasn't mattered because even before then I'd use it as a quilt! I find it hard to sleep if I can't lay on my side and stick one knee out to the side

OP Andy S 03 Aug 2020
In reply to Dan Arkle:

> I was about to suggest you go synthetic for Scotland. Heavier and less warm on your first night, but by day three it won't be a soggy mess.

> It looks like like you'll get a conflicting opinion from each reply! Good luck sorting the wheat from the chaff! 

I did loads of expeds in Scotland for a few years, almost every time in the pouring rain, sometimes for 2 or 3 nights, and I always managed to keep my bag dry - I just use a dry-bag.

Post edited at 17:48
OP Andy S 03 Aug 2020
In reply to Dan Arkle:

> How long are your trips? Overnight? 3 days? 

> Do you mainly go out on a good forecast, or are you happy walking and camping in proper rain?

> Are you flush, or a cheapskate? That quilt idea looks interesting, but a ok three season bag could be got for half that price. 

> How light do you want? The lightest materials might not last 20 more years. 

I think it'll be rare now with my knackered knees that I'll be going for more than one night.

I'm an all-weather man but if I know it's going to chuck it down literally continuously for the entire time, I might not go out - I can afford to be a bit picky now.

I'm not a cheapskate but I'm still a climber so... :-D I've noticed that down just is never cheap, but I'm trying to stay under £200 - looks like I'll need to spend well over £100.

Doesn't have to be an alps feather-weight bag that falls apart when you sneeze. Just something that isn't sh*t. Mid-range brands like Vango I've always been happy with but could go higher.

OP Andy S 03 Aug 2020
In reply to Andy S:

I think this is what I'd ideally like but I don't think I can face parting with this much cash right now because I'm also buying a new mat https://www.outdoorgear.co.uk/Therm-A-Rest-Therm-a-Rest-Vesper-45F-7C-Quilt...

Flinticus 03 Aug 2020

> For that use, I'd be looking at something rated around the low minuses (O to -5 ish) and I'd go for down if I had the budget if you're looking to cut weight and bulk.

> The Alpkit bags are good for the money. 

> BB,

> Southern softy.

I'd agree: I have two bags both down, one winter, one 'three season'. I frequently end up using my winter day throughout the year in Scotland. This year last use for my winter bag was early July, last use for my three season bag was mid-July! The night-time temps wildly fluctuate in any month in Scotland, especially at height.

I'd rather be warm at night than save carrying a few 100gs. My down bags have done fine but on multi-days I tend to pitch at one spot rather than move on so I can leave the bag in the tent to dry out during the day. Both my bags are Mountain Equipment.

I'm a side sleeper too and can manage in my bags only due to my svelte build

I've hunted for suitable bags in a wide fit but haven't found any yet of the right qualities / price.

PPP 03 Aug 2020
In reply to Andy S:

> I think this is what I'd ideally like but I don't think I can face parting with this much cash right now because I'm also buying a new mat https://www.outdoorgear.co.uk/Therm-A-Rest-Therm-a-Rest-Vesper-45F-7C-Quilt...

Vesper is what I’ve got (warmer one), but Thermarest does heavier yet cheaper Corus. 

There’s also Cumulus Quilt 250 that’s 219 Euro. Alpkit and Mountain Equipment also do quilts that are in £100-150 range. Sierra Designs also, if you can source one. 

I chose Vesper 32F/0C as it fit the bill weight wise, still has a footbox, straps under the mat and cinches down at the top if needed. Boring colour, but can live with that... I find that down bags last forever, so spending as much as possible makes sense as you won’t be replacing it any time soon and won’t need to second guess yourself. 

BK 03 Aug 2020
In reply to Andy S:

Currently looking for something similar except I'll definitely be buying synthetic.

At the minute I'm considering The Revelation Apex Quilt (-1C / 720g) from Enlightened Equipment

https://enlightenedequipment.com/revelation-apex-custom/

Seem to be really highly rated, biggest sticking points are the additional costs of import/duty which I think would take it to approx. £215.

Struggling to find a European / UK brand that makes an equivalent for less than that though.

PPP 03 Aug 2020
In reply to Andy S:

Agreed, I don’t find down bag (even non-treated) damp after a rainy night or two. Just keep it away from wet gear in the tent and put it in the dry bag. I always use a silk liner as it’s much cheaper than getting it cleaned (did it once for a now 8 year old bag). 

There’s also a rumour that purging any warm air from the bag after getting out reduces condensation. I find it nonsense, but have done it few times myself... 

OP Andy S 03 Aug 2020
In reply to PPP:

> Vesper is what I’ve got (warmer one), but Thermarest does heavier yet cheaper Corus. 

> There’s also Cumulus Quilt 250 that’s 219 Euro. Alpkit and Mountain Equipment also do quilts that are in £100-150 range. Sierra Designs also, if you can source one. 

> I chose Vesper 32F/0C as it fit the bill weight wise, still has a footbox, straps under the mat and cinches down at the top if needed. Boring colour, but can live with that... I find that down bags last forever, so spending as much as possible makes sense as you won’t be replacing it any time soon and won’t need to second guess yourself. 

Thanks for the tips and that's a good point you ended on

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...