UKC

Snowdon 27 Sept 2021

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cath Payne 23 Sep 2021

I wish to ascend Snowdon early on 27 Sept 2021. I scattered my husbands ashes there two years ago and returned on the anniversary of his death a year ago at dawn to watch a beautuful sunrise.    This year the weather is not going to be as kind, wind and rain according to the mountain forcast.

I am fit enough to do this walk, I hike regularly nearer home, I have the right kit. I am relatively hardy, the weather was bad when we scattered his ashes, but I was in company and I offloaded all responsibility for the trip to someone else, so I have no idea if the weather then was any better or worse than it is going to be during the early hours of Monday morning. 

I Intend to go up the Llanberis path during the hours of darkness (starting about 4am) but back down the Ranger path.  

However, I do this trip alone, and I am unsure if the weather will make this a huge issue. I have no intention of causing unecessary problems for the mountain rescue guys, but I would really like to do it if I can.

Does anyone have any useful advice for me?

climbingpixie 23 Sep 2021
In reply to Cath Payne:

I'm sorry for your loss and it sounds like a beautiful way to commemorate your husband.

I was going to say that as long as you have the right gear - good waterproofs, a warm layer and an emergency bivvy bag - you should be fine. But I've just looked at Met Office and it's forecasting thunderstorms. In this situation I wouldn't go, despite the significance of the day, unless the forecast improves. Unpleasant weather is one thing but it can be dangerous in those conditions.

In reply to Cath Payne:

I'm afraid it seems unwise given the forecast, the fact it will be at night and you're likely to be alone, and forgive me for assuming, a lack of experience.

Perhaps somewhere close might be better.

Take care and sorry for your loss

OP Cath Payne 23 Sep 2021
In reply to Cath Payne:

I dont visit the area much due to the distance, my lack of knowledge of the mountain is the main reason for my query so no need to apologise for mentioning it. I also need an objective view as my desire to get up there is probably slightly clouding my logic, and I although I am not risk adverse I do not wish to be reckless and cause problems for others.

Thank you for your replies, your time is much appreciated.

stubbed 23 Sep 2021
In reply to Cath Payne:

If thunderstorms are forecast then I would suggest something else - maybe stay nearer to Llanberis where you can at least see the mountain and have some sort of memorial walk lower down? I was on a mountain once where a young woman was fatally hit by lightning during a thunderstorm, and it was frightening.

Keep an eye on the weather in case the forecast changes though?

Post edited at 13:44
OP Cath Payne 23 Sep 2021
In reply to stubbed:

Thanks, I think I will leave the decision until late on Sunday and then follow the advice given here depending upon the latest weather.   I was exceptionally lucky last year, but accept that will not always be the case. It's just hard not to go given the circumstances.  

Xx

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...