UKC

Strathfarrar access

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 subtle 12 Apr 2022

Ok, its been 20+ years since I've been in, is there still access to Glen Strathfarrar?

Is it a free for for all now or is it still restricted to nr of cars and restricted opening times?

OP subtle 12 Apr 2022
In reply to Mark Bull:

Thanks, that's perfect, clears it all up, cheers

In reply to Mark Bull:

Do you happen to know if there are there reciprocal rights for BMC members also?

I was a BMC member but recently upped sticks to the highlands and my BMC membership expires next year so I was looking at joining MCoS just for this benefit alone, if it is not available to BMC members.

Ta

Mike-W-99 12 Apr 2022
In reply to Professor Bunsen:

Theres no special rights in the summer. 1st come 1st served.

Mark Bull 12 Apr 2022

Mountaineering Scotland membership is needed (and mandatory) for winter time access only: https://www.thebmc.co.uk/Strathfarrar-estate-access-information

In reply to Mike-W-99:

I thought it was gated access and you had to have a code? I seem to recall reading that everyone in the vehicle had to be MS members.

The link provided above says

Mountaineering Scotland members wishing to explore the hills around Strathfarrar can gain vehicular access to the 17-mile private road which leads up the glen under arrangements negotiated by Mountaineering Scotland with the estates.

Ta.

Edit Mark Bull's response noted. Thanks both.

Post edited at 21:35
 DaveHK 12 Apr 2022

> I thought it was gated access and you had to have a code? I seem to recall reading that everyone in the vehicle had to be MS members.

> The link provided above says

> Mountaineering Scotland members wishing to explore the hills around Strathfarrar can gain vehicular access to the 17-mile private road which leads up the glen under arrangements negotiated by Mountaineering Scotland with the estates.

> Ta.

> Edit Mark Bull's response noted. Thanks both.

That's in the winter, in the summer anyone can drive up the glen subject to getting a ticket.

In reply to subtle:

Car access was not agreed during this past winter.  This was confirmed to me recently by Davie Gibson MS Access officer. (For anyone- including MS members.) This estate(Braulen) have also been in dispute  with SNH about allowing  their access to the Nature Reserve for wildlife monitoring. 

In reply to subtle:

The estate is owned by Andras Ltd a company registered in the Cayman Islands, behind which hides a Malaysian multi millionaire who likes to shoot ducks and pheasants with which the estate is described as being "well  stocked".   He is described as being " reclusive and obsessed by security" and visits a couple of times a year to shoot aforementioned game. He also owns the 42000 acre Glenavon Estate near Tomintoul.

gld73 14 Apr 2022
In reply to subtle:

I was up Strathfarrar today (miserable weather, did a couple of the smaller marilyns rather than munros or corbetts seeing as it was all in the clag; bad day to realise when heading for the first summit that my rarely used GPS watch wasn't actually charged ... but ended up as good navigation practice, it's been a while since I had to use a map and compass so much)

....anyway, that asides, turns out there are some changes. The first gate has the normal access arrangements as per the website link above (i.e. 9am to 6pm in April), but I go go there once or twice a year and this is the first time there has been a second gate further down the glen requiring opening. The women who let me through the gates were both very helpful and nice to chat to, but said that there had been problems with the usual arrangements and so now the second gate at the signed entrance to the actual estate was having to be used. They said hillwalkers hadn't caused the problems and were still being allowed access as agreed, but it sounds like daytrippers/holidaymakers were maybe trying to get in late on in the day and either having no chance of getting back to the first gate by the closing time, or deliberately staying down the far end of the glen to try and stay overnight. 

So for hill walkers (who will generally be arriving in the morning), things haven't really changed much asides from an extra gate to be opened. People arriving later in the day but still within the daily vehicle limit are only allowed through the first gate, not the next one several miles on.

In reply to gld73:

Sounds weird to me but nothing surprises me with this estate. Have contacted MS Access officer for clarification.

DaveHK 14 Apr 2022
In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale:

> Sounds weird to me but nothing surprises me with this estate. Have contacted MS Access officer for clarification.

I don't like to gossip but...

I heard a rumour from a reputable source that changes to the Strathfarrar access might be immanent so it looks like there have at least been negotiations. However, that was a few months ago and it's gone quiet.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...