UKC

Three Peaks Quiz

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Hood 16 Sep 2022

With apologies for the slightly clickbait title.

So today I walked up to the top of 3 "hills" that are in the Database of British and Irish Hills - I'm going to post a pair of photos from the top of each "hill" - the quiz is to work out which ones they are.

First "hill" in this post, second in next post, third in following post.

I won't be able to check any answers until tomorrow evening.

Clues:

1. They're quite obscure but very close to not obscure
  2. Those are the only 3 entries from DoBIH that I walked up today
  3. On today's walk I saw quite a few people at distance, but the closest I was to another human being was about 100m away from a shepherd (who was bringing sheep down some quite steep terrain)
  4. My highest point today was actually a col (i.e. none of these 3)

OP Michael Hood 16 Sep 2022
In reply to Michael Hood:

2nd "hill"

OP Michael Hood 16 Sep 2022

3rd "hill"

By now you'll have no doubt realised that I'm not talking Wainwrights 😁 - way past those into full-on geekiness

Bonus kudos if you can work out (approximately) my route. 

Post edited at 17:50

Mark Bull 16 Sep 2022

Spoiler, guess below....

My guess is Middleboot Knotts, Pen and Cam Spout Crag, and your high point was likely the col between Broad Crag and Scafell Pike. 

Post edited at 18:11
 Connor Nunns 16 Sep 2022

First hill = Middleboot Knotts 

Second hill = Pen 

Third Hill = Cam Spout Crag 

Your highest point was Mickledore, for the route I'm guessing you walked up from Seathwaite, along the Corridor Route to Mickledore. Then back via Esk Hause.

storm-petrel 16 Sep 2022

Round How (at least that's what I know it as), Pen, and the pimple at the top of Cam Crag Ridge.

You started at Wasdale Head and walked up beside Greta Gill going straight across the Corridor Route to Round How, then Broad Crag Col (your high point), Pen, top of Cam Spout, Cam Crag Ridge, then down to join the Burnmoor Tarn track down to Wasdale Head.

Post edited at 18:33
 storm-petrel 16 Sep 2022
In reply to storm-petrel:

Looking at the map, Middleboot Knotts, as suggested by the first two respondents, looks more likely than Round How.

(and Cam Spout Ridge, not Cam Crag!)

Post edited at 19:05
OP Michael Hood 17 Sep 2022
In reply to Mark Bull:

Correct, obviously too easy but I'm harkened to know that there are others out there with similar levels of geekiness about such things.

Route from Wasdale Head was up Piers Gill (the path above it of course, I suspect the Gill itself would be quite an expedition), MK, Broad Crag Col, Pen, down up and across to CSC, up the ridge to Long Green, then across the west slopes of Scafell gradually dropping height to reach the Burnmoor path at Hollow Gill, just before it gets down.

The shepherd was bringing sheep down from the area between Pen and Dow Crag (Esk Buttress), on ground that looked quite impressively broken and steep, with them finishing on the path you use to get back down after climbing on Esk Buttress.

Visibility was excellent, Snowdonia no trouble but with my binoculars I was wondering whether that was bits of Ireland I could see (not with the naked eye), just felt too far from Snowdonia to still be Anglesey "bumps".  Edit: just looked on Peakfinder - was not Ireland ☹, Anglesey sticks out further than I realised from that angle.

Post edited at 21:16
 Mark Bull 18 Sep 2022

Plenty of clues, but that was fun to work out, thank you! 

Sounds like a good day out - are you collecting the Synges, then?  

OP Michael Hood 18 Sep 2022
In reply to Mark Bull:

Synges, Birketts, everything in DoBIH over 300m in Cumbria, all HUMPs and sub-HUMPs in Cumbria, Wainwright outlying and a few other "connected" hills; 825 out the just over a 1000 in Cumbria.

Basically, 8 years ago I set myself the challenge of doing all the Wainwright's in 5 years (before I got to 60). I'd done about a third of them before but didn't count those. No problem but about halfway through I discovered all the other subjective lists and objective criteria lists. I'd also by then realised what a weird collection the Wainwright's actually are, with what gets a complete chapter and what gets left out; he probably did too.

So I decided to do all the other stuff, unfortunately that means there are quite a few that I missed that I could have easily fitted in when doing the first "half" of the Wainwright's.

Anyway, I'm up to 657 of my 825 which I'm trying to do by the middle of 2024.

Two things I've learned:

1. You can get away from the crowds, even in the popular areas, just pick where and when.
  2. There's loads of the Lake District that is unfrequented but is still beautiful.
  3. Don't go up low obscure hills in summer, the bracken is f****g horrendous.

That's 3 😁

OP Michael Hood 18 Sep 2022

Not "in Cumbria", "in Lake District as defined by area 34A/B/C/D in the DoBIH", I'd forgotten how far east Cumbria went - doh!

Mark Bull 19 Sep 2022

That's a long list, but I guess there aren't too many rubbish hills on it (bracken permitting!) - hope you have fun completing it. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...