UKC

Walking Down Tailors Burn. Feasible in Summer?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tistimetogo 02 Jul 2023

Planning a walk through the Cairngorms in mid July with Mrs Tistimetogo. We had two objectives that we were hoping for. To walk the Lairig Ghru and also to climb Ben Macdui. I'm thinking that if we split this over two days (wild camping in the middle) it should be possible to do both (or at least most of the LG).

We're coming from the Braemar side and finishing on the Aviemore side. My plan was to walk up the Gleann Laoigh Bheag and climb Ben Macdui via the Sron Riach. We would then retrace our steps a little and then turn and drop down Tailors Burn to the Lairig Ghru. We would then camp somewhere near the bottom of Tailors Burn. Second day would be the walk out towards Aviemore.

My question is how steep is Tailors Burn? Looks doable on the map and I've found references to people skiing it. Would it be ok for most hillwalkers?

Grateful for any local knowledge. I've been to the Cairngorms before but not to this area.

ScraggyGoat 02 Jul 2023
In reply to tistimetogo:

Taylor’s burn is fine, generally you skip the first (top) 200m ish on the SE side before joining, unless you have dumped sacs having gained height you should consider staying high, better views.  The Ghru while famous isn’t actually that impressive, the views from the plateau however are. So if the weathers good camp high.

Post edited at 21:25
 Mike-W-99 02 Jul 2023
In reply to tistimetogo:

Faint path on the south side of the burn. You can also drop down the Allt a'Choire Mhoir from the memorial but that's a bit more tenuous.

OP tistimetogo 03 Jul 2023
In reply to ScraggyGoat:

Thanks, that's what I was hoping. 

And yes it would be nice to camp with a view but I'll see what the weather is doing.

J72 03 Jul 2023
In reply to tistimetogo:

As others have suggested the Lhairig Ghru isn’t as impressive (arguably!) than its fame warrants.  With slightly more ascent (I think 150m) and 2-4km more instead of the Lhairig Ghru you could head from MacDui down towards loch etchachan, round this and down to Loch Avon.  Then up Coire raibert over the top of the plateau and drop down via the ski centre.  Down this road there are a number of good paths through the woods towards rothiemurchus and back to aviemore.  

might not quite fit the bill and apologies if you know the area well - but might be another option to explore! 

In reply to tistimetogo:

I'd disagree with others - I think the Lairig Ghru is really impressive, for the sense of scale and the feeling that you're on a journey through the hills that people have been walking for millennia. Also the views west into Braeriach corries. To me it feels really special and not like just any other hill pass.

I think LG is best walked north-south for full effect but I don't suppose there's much in it either way.

The Allt Clach nan Taillear path is vague in the upper reaches, and finding it in mist could take a bit of effort. Pretty clear lower down. It's steep but not silly. 

But... Looks like you're planning to go up Macdui carrying your overnight stuff. In this case you'll have done most of the hard work by the time you're at the top. From the summit an alternative to dropping down the Taillear path, if you have daylight and energy spare, could be to head north over the plateau. That'll give you a more satisfying traverse of Macdui than a backtracky route. Have a high camp on the shoulder west of Coire an Lochain or around the top of Luchers if weather permits (good for an anti-midge breeze maybe), or if it's too windy up high then continue north to lower ground west of the Chalamain Gap to camp. Day 2 could then be the full LG north-south back to Braemar.

Or do you have to finish in Aviemore for logistical reasons? 

jonny taylor 03 Jul 2023
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

I agree, I found the walk up from corrour nothing special, but the pools themselves at the pass very pretty, and the descent into the Rothiemurcus forest beautiful. Plus all the history. It would be a pity to dismiss it!

Mike-W-99 03 Jul 2023
OP tistimetogo 04 Jul 2023
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Both LG and Macdui have been on my partner's tick list for a long time but chances to do it have been rare. Looking forward to it and happy to have a straight forward way to do them slowly and steadily over two days. Appreciate the advice on navigating to find the path. I'll have map/compass and will take our time to make sure we don't go off route.

Once we get to Aviemore she'll stay there to put the feet up and I'll begin day 3 to retrieve the car. Will pack lighter, leave most of the stuff/tent with her and run back (possibly via Braeriach and the Devils point if the legs are feeling ok). 

Thanks for all the help folks. Looking forward to the hills.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...